You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-09 05:14:29

vikrang

DBus ,Time , User Rights

1. WiCd initially gives the error Dbus not found and is working only after I re-start Dbus service and not automatically at boot. Why?
2. Time is not getting updated after connection to Internet.
3. I want to grant all rights (sudo) to the user...Currently unable to switch off or restart from user's login..What command?

#2 2011-02-09 05:18:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: DBus ,Time , User Rights

1) Errors?
2) Why should it?
3) Google sudo and visudo

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-02-09 05:23:18

vikrang

1. "Error loading Dbus " by WiCd
2. I have given the option to sync time with UTC server at the time of installation.
3. Ok

#4 2011-02-09 05:38:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

1) post complete error log
2) using what? ntpd? openntpd? or simply syncing with date -s servername?

You have to be more elaborate when asking for help if you expect people to help you out.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-02-09 05:44:42

vikrang

Ok ,,,Reg Wicd , I will post the error log..For time , I guess I gave the option at the time of running the Arch setup in the menu if I am not mistaken...I havent used ntpd or others that you have mentioned

#6 2011-02-09 05:47:06

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I am not sure what installation media you followed, but Arch by default does not enable syncing of the computer's clock, neither during setup nor otherwise. You will have to use ntp or openntpd to keep syncing your clocks.

Vaguely saying what you did does not help others help you. I implore you to read the link I posted in my previous post.

EDIT: You are probably confused about setting time to UTC in rc.conf with thinking that it will sync the software clocks. It doesn't. Selecting UTC only sets the hardware clock during installation. Syncing your software clocks regularly is a completely different beast.

a little primer from our very own wiki : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Time#About

Forum Rules

#7 2011-02-09 06:05:36

vikrang

Ok.....Ok....Pl relax!..will verify & post.

Probably , i am getting confused with some other distro's install!

#8 2011-02-09 06:33:54

vikrang

Dear Moderator,

I think you need to read an article on how to reply for posts!

I would like to remind you that this is a multicultural , multilingual and consists of people with varied levels of knowledge in Linux..

Your first reply is extremely offensive and arrogant! I think you could have left the question alone than to keep advising on "how to post queries".

It is nothing short of a slap in the face !

You  should pl understand that the forum has multiple users...Many of them could have faced these issues...Pl allow some time ...If you are not able to answer , why do you hijack the question?

This doesnt augur well for the Arch community at large and I think the administrators need to review some basic etiquette which has to be followed

#9 2011-02-09 06:40:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

vikrang wrote:

Dear Moderator,

I think you need to read an article on how to reply for posts!

I would like to remind you that this is a multicultural , multilingual and consists of people with varied levels of knowledge in Linux..

Your first reply is extremely offensive and arrogant! I think you could have left the question alone than to keep advising on "how to post queries".

It is nothing short of a slap in the face !

You  should pl understand that the forum has multiple users...Many of them could have faced these issues...Pl allow some time ...If you are not able to answer , why do you hijack the question?

This doesnt augur well for the Arch community at large and I think the administrators need to review some basic etiquette which has to be followed

Dear vikrang,

When you visit a person's home, you are expected to follow the customs of that home. Here in the Arch forums, we have a Forum Etiquette which should be followed - one of the things stated there is that you should show respect to the moderators of the forum itself. Calling a moderator offensive and arrogant is certainly not in line with that.

Whatever your real or perceived language barriers, if you wish to use Arch you should agree with and follow the Arch Way. The nature of your questions (and the lack of much knowledge on what exactly you have done to install Arch) indicates that this is not the case.

Learn to post questions properly, and learn to respect the moderators and the community. It does not exist solely for you.

Due to the nature of this thread and the turn it has taken, I'm closing it. Feel free to open another one with more specification of what exactly you have done and the question you're asking. For the questions listed here, I think a bit of searching will teach you that you needn't have posted the thread in the first place.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer