You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-09 00:44:35

jon.wulf

Scrambled output on halt.

Hello,

this evening a strange occurrence befell my pc. I was surfing the net and heard a "beep" from my computer which was odd but I shrugged it off. Several hours later I started the shutdown process and things went odd... Firstly my computer usually makes a beep when it starts to shutdown, tonight there was none. Secondly, the output - that is to say, when it shuts down and it does the various tasks like halting daemons - was scrambled, unreadable in most cases, though the computer DID power off seemingly ok. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not worried or anything since I'm a careful user as far as security goes etc... Just curious as to what was going on...

~Jon~

#2 2011-02-09 08:16:58

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Scrambled output on halt.

Just a longshot, but maybe check your hard drive for errors. That beep you heard could have been a read error. Also check SMART logs.

#3 2011-02-09 11:35:45

jon.wulf

Re: Scrambled output on halt.

Hey,

I checked the SMART logs and ran some self-tests and the results came back normal. I've cycled the computer a few times now and the errors yet to re-appear so I'm starting to think it may have just been a one time, random occurrence.

~Jon~

Board footer