You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-13 06:28:33

dalingrin

Looking for tiling + Gnome

I've been looking for an easy to use tiling window manager to use with Gnome. One that doesn't require a lot of configuration. In the past, I have used KDE primarily and really liked the idea of kwin tiling. In fact, kwin tiling is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I want something that automatically maximizes and tiles according to a chosen layout. Resizing one window resizes the rest of the windows accordingly. I was under the impression that the compiz grid plugin was what I was looking for but unfortunately not. It seems to only be able to place windows in a tile-like format with keyboard shortcuts. I'm looking for something that tiles automatically.
Are there any options out there for me or should I switch back to KDE?

#2 2011-02-13 06:46:25

moetunes

Re: Looking for tiling + Gnome

Any window manager can replace gnomes' one so the question I guess is what are the dynamic tiling window managers.
Here is a comparison of the tilers, you'll want one with a text config and dynamic not manual tiling.
A quick perusal would suggest wmfs as being one of the more popular - and there's a healthy thread in here about it.
HTH smile

Last edited by moetunes (2011-02-13 06:47:28)

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2011-02-13 06:51:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Looking for tiling + Gnome

There are many many threads on this. Also a few articles on the comparison of tilers. Research before you post...

Closing ....

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer