You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-24 15:59:24

Windows XP internet connection sharing

I have a modem coming into a windows box (cant be changed). A crossover cable goes to an arch compter and the internet connection is shared (dhcp, works).

However, the internet gets laggy (cant establish connection, stops dloading a web page etc...) This does not happen when i switch the arch computer to windows (dual boot).

I have only had a simple generic iptables firewall and then, i shut it off completely; the problem persists.

Any hints on how to speed the connection up?

#2 2005-05-24 16:05:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Windows XP internet connection sharing

it could be ipv6... try shutting it off in firefox (about:config... I think it's "disable.ipv6" or something)

you may also want to pacman "bind" and do "dig www.google.com" or something, to check DNS lookup times ...

#3 2005-05-25 20:45:46

Sadly, the problem spreads beyond firefox... Downloads (wget, curl, etc... off many many servers) freeze and break. doesnt happen on win

edit:
the dig seemed okay. the connection works in chunks... you could almost say--discretely

#4 2005-05-25 21:20:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Sauropodomorphs wrote:

Sadly, the problem spreads beyond firefox... Downloads (wget, curl, etc... off many many servers) freeze and break. doesnt happen on win

right, I'm saying test it with firefox... see if disabling IP6 speeds things up - if it does, you need to recompile your kernel, removing the IP6 stuff (some older routers balk at ip6)

#5 2005-05-26 05:23:12

oh i did, and it doesnt help. ill just do some research... this is like walking in the dark with so little info.

#6 2005-05-26 19:40:33

Weeeeell, crap...

[root@procyon perun]# dmesg
eth0: RealTek RTL8139
eth0: link up, 10Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x4041
eth0: no IPv6 routers present

So, no routers present... yet support compiled into kernel... Recompile (nooooo sad).......[/code]

Board footer