You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-19 16:24:29

heptapod

Quick message over network

Say you want to send a quick message over your local network. For example maybe you are compiling something on a server and want to know when it is done, or you want to be notified when a download is complete. What is the best program to use for these kind of situations? I was thinking about xmessage over ssh but that seems overly complicated.

#2 2011-02-19 16:42:22

lagagnon
Website

Re: Quick message over network

"talk" ?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-02-19 17:25:27

karol
Archivist

Why not a e-mail? A sound notification? 'wget -c <something> && play ~/bing.mp3'
What happens if your compile fails or your download aborts or gets stuck?

#4 2011-02-19 18:04:19

heptapod

On the local machine I usually just add ;xmessage done, to whatever Im doing. Simple but gives me a notification whether what Im doing succeds or not. Email could work, but I would have to set up a notification for new email on the destop. Also I would either have to set up a local mailserver, or wait for the message to go to my webmail and back.

Just tried talk but didnt like it, mostly because the documentation wasnt so great.

#5 2011-02-19 22:46:24

lagagnon
Website

heptapod wrote:

Just tried talk but didnt like it, mostly because the documentation wasnt so great.

Did you try "info talk" rather than "man talk" ?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#6 2011-02-19 23:25:15

heptapod

Yeah I looked at the info documentation. I couldnt quite get it to work, but it looked more like a chat program. Is it possible to make it popup a window when someone calls it as opposed to having to open and checking it?

Board footer