You are not logged in.

#26 2011-02-18 17:45:13

otsug
Website

Re: Yapan - another notifier

DIDI2002 wrote:

otsug, notify-send works fine.
You are right, there are no clickable buttons in notify-osd (Mark shuttleworth: "There should be no actions on notifications.")
It's your call, but I'd prefer notification+sound over popup+sound.

Since the command works, I will make a option to use notify-send, so who wants to use can use... using this command will not add any dependencies anyway... in KDE the notification is different...

DIDI2002 wrote:

What does 'check after upgrade' in the general tab do?

He checks the command pacman -Qu, but in the next version I will change to synchronize...

Anybody know if there is a way to give Yapan permission to use pacman -Sy without sudo?

#27 2011-02-18 22:31:20

ralvez
Website

@otsug,

One nice to have feature would be that yapan self updates. In other words, when it checks for updates it also checks for updates for itself (like pacman does).
Then it could run the update of Yapan before or after all other updates are processed.

Just and idea smile

R

#28 2011-02-20 22:26:09

forkboy

This is the best notifier I've used for arch, so thanks for doing this smile  One thing though, isn't the default check of every 15 minutes a little excessive?  Surely every hour is enough, and don't the mirrors only sync every hour anyway?

#29 2011-02-21 01:15:04

otsug
Website

ralvez wrote:

@otsug,

One nice to have feature would be that yapan self updates. In other words, when it checks for updates it also checks for updates for itself (like pacman does).
Then it could run the update of Yapan before or after all other updates are processed.

Just and idea smile

R

Thats would be nice, but I don't think is possible, yapan needs to be recompiled, in linux this kind of update is difficult, I can check for yapan updates, but this will add a unnecessary overhead I guess.

forkboy wrote:

This is the best notifier I've used for arch, so thanks for doing this smile  One thing though, isn't the default check of every 15 minutes a little excessive?  Surely every hour is enough, and don't the mirrors only sync every hour anyway?

Thank you, I don't know this, but I believe many people execute pacman -Sy more times in 15 minutes than Yapan smile, I like the pacman gif in system tray too roll.

I got sick this weekend, but I am returning the development, the settings gui is better, added notify-send for notification(optional) and I am creating a kind of log for Yapan now.

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-21 09:03:12)

#30 2011-02-21 08:44:07

lucak3

Is there a way i could do without modifying sudoers file for updating permissions?
I would prefer not giving access without password to anyone, not even to my user.
Else, could you confine it to a specific user like kdm does, if i understand correctly ?

The Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it. - Linus Torvalds

#31 2011-02-21 08:55:27

otsug
Website

lucak3 wrote:

Is there a way i could do without modifying sudoers file for updating permissions?
I would prefer not giving access without password to anyone, not even to my user.
Else, could you confine it to a specific user like kdm does, if i understand correctly ?

You only need to give password-less permission to pacman -Sy, the sudo pacman -Su command will ask your password when you execute update command, I don't think the pacman -Sy is danger this way...

#32 2011-02-21 13:09:51

DIDI2002

When yapan played a sound, does it close the audio-stream after playback is complete? It seems the stream stays opened forever (at least on pulseaudio). Maybe there's also a way to resize the icon?
Thats what it currently looks like when there's no sound actually playing:
screenshotax.th.png

#33 2011-02-21 14:18:38

otsug
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

When yapan played a sound, does it close the audio-stream after playback is complete? It seems the stream stays opened forever (at least on pulseaudio). Maybe there's also a way to resize the icon?
Thats what it currently looks like when there's no sound actually playing:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4872/screenshotax.th.png

Hmm, I don't know how phonon works, the only thing I did is: create a Phonon::MediaObject and Phonon::AudioOutput and when the sound ended the signal finished is triggered... phonon-gstreamer has a bug https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=640771 maybe is because that? what program is that? I don't know if KDE has something like that.

I don't think svg images have sizes...

#34 2011-02-21 14:53:46

madek
Website

great notifier
any chances of make that works with AUR
for example taking the idea of http://andreascarpino.it/2011/02/you-ha … -packages/

#35 2011-02-21 15:25:45

otsug
Website

madek wrote:

great notifier
any chances of make that works with AUR
for example taking the idea of http://andreascarpino.it/2011/02/you-ha … -packages/

Thank you, I want to do that, but I don't know how, I don't find any command in yaourt, clyde, etc to list aur packages out of date... in this script, if I understood, call for cower -ud, -u, --update and -d, --download(https://github.com/falconindy/cower), so the packages are downloaded and I not want yapan doing that, I do not know these scripts very well, I may be wrong. I think you can put yaourt -Sau in update command...

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-21 16:17:36)

#36 2011-02-21 21:55:31

DIDI2002

I think when you do

if(canPlay()) {
player->setCurrentSource(uiUpAvSound);
player->play();

there's no player->stop to actually stop the MediaObject.

If you press on_pbVolumeTest_clicked, the same thing happens:

player->setCurrentSource(ui->leUpAvSound->text());
player->play();

without player->stop

but if you click on_pbVolumeTest_clicked twice,

player->stop();
volumeTestPlaying = true;
ui->pbVolumeTest->setIcon(icoStart);

is called, and the audio-stream is removed from pulseaudio.

That's the problem, but I don't know how to fix it big_smile

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2011-02-21 22:19:59)

#37 2011-02-21 22:20:43

otsug
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

I don't really know Qt, but is it possible to close the player-instance after playback, or create it before playback und remove it after playback ( player->deleteLater() )?
It seems strange to me that an audio stream is open all the time, although yapan only uses it about once a day.
The screenshot is from pavucontrol, it's the pulseaudio mixer. I don't know if there's something similar in phonon/kde.

deleteLater is for other stuff, but I installed pavucontrol and pulseaudio, and clear() fix the problem, thank you.

I uninstalled pulseaudio and now I can't hear any sounds =/. Reboot fix that ^^.

If you want to test, this is the change:

void MainWindow::playerFinished()
{
    ui->pbVolumeTest->setIcon(icoStart);

volumeTestPlaying = true;

player->clear();
}

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-21 23:32:20)

#38 2011-02-21 23:41:30

DIDI2002

Yes, this change closes the stream after doing the volume-test, but still not after an update-notification (I downgraded something to test big_smile).
Maybe playerFinished() cannot be called when the main-window is closed? I really don't understand C++ well sad

I don't think this is a serious bug, you could just leave it. I just noticed because the pacman icon is so huge and I had pavucontrol open by chance.

#39 2011-02-21 23:49:58

otsug
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

Yes, this change closes the stream after doing the volume-test, but still not after an update-notification (I downgraded something to test big_smile).
Maybe playerFinished() cannot be called when the main-window is closed? I really don't understand C++ well sad

I don't think this is a serious bug, you could just leave it. I just noticed because the pacman icon is so huge and I had pavucontrol open by chance.

Ops, true, I disconnect after, I don't have any update now... but if clear() works I know how to fix, thanks.

#40 2011-02-23 16:44:58

masteryod

Hi, first of all I would like to say thanks it's greate contribution to Arch community smile but i also have some thougts (don't take them to hard - its young project but we can make it superb)
- tested under gnome (normally I use kde4) - notification seems not to work, also update doesn't bring konsole - well under gnome i don't have it (it should bring up system default terminal emulator - is it possible?)
- more polished set of icons would be nice (now they don't look very professional - we can set up chalenge)
- sudo what if i don't use sudo? it would be great if sudo was optionaly, so without sudo just bring up konsole with su asking for root password
- what is the difference between stop and timer stop? maybe simple start/stop would be enough? start - its running in the background, stop - it stop counting, stop doing enything = paused (it's arch it should be simple wink
- on mouse hover: maybe add "next sync in: X minutes" (?)
- mute should have "check" mark if set
- kill process in menu - if yapan fail you probably won't be able to click this menu so you will have to kill it from terminal ergo this menu entry is not necessary

to sum up, nice work! smile and I look forward to see more improvements, Arch could use some one good package notifier

#41 2011-02-23 17:14:23

otsug
Website

masteryod wrote:

Hi, first of all I would like to say thanks it's greate contribution to Arch community smile but i also have some thougts (don't take them to hard - its young project but we can make it superb)

Thank you.

masteryod wrote:

- tested under gnome (normally I use kde4) - notification seems not to work, also update doesn't bring konsole - well under gnome i don't have it (it should bring up system default terminal emulator - is it possible?)

In Yapan 0.4 I added a option to use notify-send(libnotify), but without buttons... I added a warning for the non kde users in first Yapan run to change the terminal in Settings -> Package Manager -> Update command to call, examples in the wiki. But I use a specification for notification, so gnome is wrong if the notification is not working.

masteryod wrote:

- more polished set of icons would be nice (now they don't look very professional - we can set up chalenge)

Well I don't know how to make icons, amirs in AUR help me with that, I think these icons look good in KDE, but you can customize everything in Yapan.

masteryod wrote:

- sudo what if i don't use sudo? it would be great if sudo was optionaly, so without sudo just bring up konsole with su asking for root password

Yeh, I don't like the sudo dependence too, the problem is how I can acess pacman -Sy without sudo? I think you can already change Yapan to work in update using su, like you said.

masteryod wrote:

- what is the difference between stop and timer stop? maybe simple start/stop would be enough? start - its running in the background, stop - it stop counting, stop doing enything = paused (it's arch it should be simple wink

Stop, stop Yapan immediately and Stop Timer you can program Yapan to stop for X minutes. Maybe I can change the translation to pause instead of stop...?

masteryod wrote:

- on mouse hover: maybe add "next sync in: X minutes" (?)

Good idea, I will see how can I do that.

masteryod wrote:

- mute should have "check" mark if set

The problem is, everything in menu will have a checkbox if I do that =/, so I choose to only change the icon...

masteryod wrote:

- kill process in menu - if yapan fail you probably won't be able to click this menu so you will have to kill it from terminal ergo this menu entry is not necessary

When my internet slows down, pacman take tooooo long to finish pacman -Sy, takes forever, with this option I can kill the pacman -Sy or pacman -Qu process...

masteryod wrote:

to sum up, nice work! smile and I look forward to see more improvements, Arch could use some one good package notifier

Thanks again.

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-23 17:26:01)

#42 2011-02-23 21:40:55

masteryod

otsug wrote:

When my internet slows down, pacman take tooooo long to finish pacman -Sy, takes forever, with this option I can kill the pacman -Sy or pacman -Qu process...

oh I see now I thought its for killing yapan

otsug wrote:

Yeh, I don't like the sudo dependence too, the problem is how I can acess pacman -Sy without sudo? I think you can already change Yapan to work in update using su, like you said.

omg that's right, my mistake

#43 2011-02-24 18:27:43

amirs

hello again,

the "update available" notification popup shows the installed version of the package that has an update. I think it should show the new version or no version at all (just the name of the package).

@otsug - about the icon itself, the color changing "update available" is too childish and intrusive, after using my wiggly red icon (the last one I sent you) for few days, i'm sure it's a lot better.

Thank you, Amir

#44 2011-02-25 03:13:07

otsug
Website

amirs wrote:

hello again,

the "update available" notification popup shows the installed version of the package that has an update. I think it should show the new version or no version at all (just the name of the package).

I never paid attention on that, I will remove the version of the package.

amirs wrote:

@otsug - about the icon itself, the color changing "update available" is too childish and intrusive, after using my wiggly red icon (the last one I sent you) for few days, i'm sure it's a lot better.

Thank you, Amir

I liked your gif too, I only thought the change in color more interesting... I thought was funny the final red ghost to look to the person in front the computer... but ok... what do you think if I merge the two? like only red but looking all sides and moving like your gif and in the final the ghost look to front, I don't know if animate for only 1 minute or more or infinite...

Thank you.

Last edited by otsug (2011-02-25 03:53:48)

#45 2011-02-25 05:33:24

amirs

yes, make it so... and intervals(2 sec animate and 10 sec fixed on the user) for 1 minute is ok. thanks

#46 2011-02-25 11:30:37

forkboy

How about an option to not have an animation? It's quite distracting if you're doing something and don't want to run the updates straight away.

#47 2011-02-25 11:59:10

otsug
Website

forkboy wrote:

How about an option to not have an animation? It's quite distracting if you're doing something and don't want to run the updates straight away.

But just for 1 minute? and I will change to only red... is more easy to change the update gif to a png...

#48 2011-02-25 14:22:20

amirs

there are many people who do not like the animation in the tray, they find it distracting and for them just a change of the color is enough. 1 min with a single color is somewhere in the middle and hopefully will be accepted by most. you cant satisfy everybody...

#49 2011-02-25 14:27:02

otsug
Website

amirs wrote:

there are many people who do not like the animation in the tray, they find it distracting and for them just a change of the color is enough. 1 min with a single color is somewhere in the middle and hopefully will be accepted by most. you cant satisfy everybody...

Yeh, I know, I am trying to find a middle, so everybody will be at least half happy heaheahea

#50 2011-02-25 16:55:43

forkboy

For what it's worth, I would love to just see a notification and the red ghost when updates are available, not an animation.  I do like the pacman chomping animation when it's syncing, as it's a lot less distracting and I only have it set for every hour.

Board footer