You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-28 12:25:13

nightfrost

issues with sound

I'll try to give as much information as I can, but if I miss to post anything of relevance, please tell me.

First of all, in console I seem to be able to play sounds no problem. I can even play different mp3s simlutaneously. This seems to me to be indicating that I have alsa set up properly.

In KDE, things are a different matter. The sound system fails to start with the following message:

Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for capture (Invalid argument)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

However, I can still play songs through XMMS. But the problem now is, that I can only play one soundfile at a time. Not only that, but (this is the weirdest part) XMMS arbitrarily stops playing every now and then, with no messages of any kind. The only thing I can do is to press the stop button and then play again.

Finally, this is from hwd:

Sound:
       Sound card   : Intel Corp.|ICH4 845G/GL Chipset AC'97 Audio Controller
       ALSA module  : snd-intel8x0

I'd appreciate any help on this issue.

#2 2005-05-28 13:43:31

Gullible Jones

Re: issues with sound

KDE uses JACK by default. If you want to use ALSA without JACK, then you'll have to set KDE's sound output to ALSA.

#3 2005-05-28 14:00:34

nightfrost

Thanks, but I'm not using JACK. I've changed KDE's sound-system from autodetect to ALSA.

In either case, back in my gentoo days, I used to turn the KDE sound system off altogether. Apps under KDE would just use ALSA...

#4 2005-05-29 15:39:50

nightfrost

I have to *bump* this one...
Basically it seems like ogg123 and mpg123 play everything just fine. mp3blaster can't connect to sound-device if anything else is connected to it, and finally, XMMS and Amarok both tend to stop playing at times - they give no error messages, and there's no crash- they just quit playing. No one's got an idea?

#5 2005-05-29 18:45:40

xerxes2
Website

are you running hotplug? I think phrakture had some problems with this soundcard when he was using it,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2005-05-29 18:55:14

nightfrost

yes, I am. I could stop using it, I guess, but I'd like to have hal running (which depends on hotplug, if I'm not mistaken). Phrakture, may I ask how you solved the problem?

Thanks for the input, xerxes2.

#7 2005-08-22 17:07:11

stenico

This worked for me:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthrea … ound.state

I had the problem of xmms randomly stopping (probably due to kde wanting to use the sound card...). Previously I had set up dmixer, but didn't fully solve the problem, the solution above seems to be a total fix for me smile.

#8 2005-08-22 17:46:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

nightfrost wrote:

yes, I am. I could stop using it, I guess, but I'd like to have hal running (which depends on hotplug, if I'm not mistaken). Phrakture, may I ask how you solved the problem?

Thanks for the input, xerxes2.

I'm not exactly sure if this is realted, but for intel-8x0 cards, hotplug loads the intel-8x0m module as well, which is used for modem sounds... these modules clash and cause a whole bunch of headaches.... if the "m" module is loaded, you can "rmmod" it and add it to the hotplug blacklist file

#9 2005-08-22 18:12:08

nightfrost

Thanks for the replies. This thread was created quite a while ago, and I've since gone over to Gnome pretty much, which I think handles sound a lot better than KDE. So no problem anymore, at least for me.

Cheers.

Board footer