You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-28 16:34:26

mrbug

One user suddenly can't ssh!

I seem to have found myself in quite the predicament. My remote headless server has two ssh logins that it will accept. One is my regular login (regular bash shell), one runs a bash script that shows a menu (uses that script as the shell).

I ran the "worms" program from bsd-games and it made my ssh+screen session unresponsive. I closed my terminal window and attempted to reconnect and do a "killall worms". However, it keeps giving me the "invalid login" message. The other login still works, so I know that it's not a problem with the authentication system.

Any ideas? I can't figure out a way to drop to a shell from my menu script. I don't THINK that I have a special user that reboots the computer, either.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#2 2011-02-28 19:38:04

oliver

Re: One user suddenly can't ssh!

can you ssh in as root?

#3 2011-03-01 21:15:10

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: One user suddenly can't ssh!

try `ssh -v` when connecting, and see if that yields any interesting output.
Also, if you are using ssh control master, try terminating the master session first.
`ssh -O exit hostname` I have had the control master cause a weird 'hang' when the remote server went out to lunch, and fail to reconnect. Terminating the control master and connecting again usually fixes that weird issue for me (it IS quite rare occurance).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer