You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-28 19:27:33

LavaPunk

Inability to start Network

Alright guys, I bet this will be an easy one, but I am all out of ideas and frustration has set in.  I've built up a new box, and while the entire thing works, boots and is running Arch Linux off my old hard drive, I just cannot seem to get the network to come up.
I bought a new Linksys LNE100TX.  I know that the module is tulip, hwd tells me that, searching the forums told me that... and so I have it loading.  I've tried building it into my costume kernel vs. modules.  No good...

I have come to the conclusion that I must be missing something simple.  Yes, the card is attach to the motherboard.  Yes it is recognized by hwd.  Yes my cable is plugged into the card. 

The funny thing is that when I run hwd it comes up under ethernet and then directly underneath is the network section.  This section is empty and says "No PCI card or onboard chip."  Seems strange, but then my old box has worked perfectly since long before hwd came out...

Any ideas?

#2 2005-05-28 20:26:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Inability to start Network

ifconfig might give you a hint... maybe try it with a live CD to verify that it is working and the cables, etc really are working. Double check your hostname variable, the hosts file, the network sections of rc.conf...

Those are the 'something simples' but I suspect you tried them all already. ;-)

Dusty

#3 2005-05-28 20:29:23

LavaPunk

The scary part was that the livecd did not start it up but recognized it at least.  I was wondering if maybe it didn't boot it up because the onboard lan was still enabled.  Have not tried it when it wasn't...

EDIT:  Okay tried the livecd again.  It loads up tulip, but then the tulip module is not used by any other service, and there is no internet access, the network is not initialized.

#4 2005-05-28 21:29:03

LavaPunk

So now I am totally stumped.  Windows recognizes the fact that the card exists but I have no internet.  Livecd... no internet.  Connected directly into the modem rather than a hub?  No good.
*sigh*  I wish I could peg it on my ISP but I cannot imagine that my changing my network card would do this...?

Edit:  So it turns out all that was required was a resetting if the modem, called Comcast and it works.  Wow, what a nice waste of my day.

#5 2005-05-28 21:32:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You have no Internet under Windows either? That means you could contact your ISP tech support?

Dusty

#6 2005-05-28 22:37:26

iBertus

Edit:  So it turns out all that was required was a resetting if the modem, called Comcast and it works.  Wow, what a nice waste of my day.

My ISP makes you register the MAC address of any network hardware you use before letting it access the net. Pissed me off once when the cable modem just blew up, was replaced by the ISP but wouldn't work because they didn't change the MAC address entry in the database.

Board footer