You are not logged in.

#26 2011-03-04 03:44:35

jlacroix

Re: [SOLVED] Fan Constantly Running (Latitude E6410)

skunktrader wrote:

If you read the thread we linked to above, the other issue you need to consider is the load cycle count of the drive.  If you set the threshold "too low" then the drive will be continually starting and stopping which will be good for battery life (since the drive will be off whenever there is no IO) but bad for the drive (because there is a finite number of load cycles before the drive dies).  You need to make a judgement call based on your usage patterns.

It seems that the config file defaults to 1 for battery and 254 for AC. I think the "1" on battery scares me quite a bit. I set everything to 128 and that seemed to work well, but the way people are paranoid about this makes me nervous, so I set it back to 254. I am contemplating sticking with 128.

#27 2011-03-05 12:46:33

smartass

Re: [SOLVED] Fan Constantly Running (Latitude E6410)

I think 254 is good for AC, because you don't need to spare power then and I agree that "1" could be an overkill.
The hdsentinel tool mentioned still shows 100% health, more than 1000 days of life remaining. I set mine to 128 on battery which according to the manpage disables  spin-down, but my load cycle count is still rising, so I think it's better to set it to either 127 to enable spin-down at all, because that's what really saves power IMO and 254 if you don't want to play around with stuff like this. As someone mentioned on that forum, a lifespan of 600 000 load cycles is just an estimate, your hdd can outlive that.

KISS my Arch, Willy Gates!

Board footer