You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-22 14:45:33

jdarnold
Website

.desktop question

I'm working on a PKGBUILD for a Java game and have it installing pretty well. The only problem is the .desktop file it installs. This .desktop file uses absolute paths in the Exec and Path fields, which don't seem to work when clicked on in my system (OpenBox w/ Thunar). I'm pretty sure this is because it doesn't execute the file from the game folder, which is required.

So I created a script that works when put into /usr/bin. It merely changes into the correct folder and runs the game script from there. Thiis works, both when executed directly and when run via the edited .desktop file. My question is how should I package this? Should I include my own script & .desktop files? Should I just edit the included .desktop file with sed to point to my installed script?

#2 2011-03-22 15:03:29

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: .desktop question

Normally, its better to provide your own files, because down the line upstream might change something which will break your package. So provide your own .desktop and script and install them in the appropriate locations. As for the .desktop from upstream, just don't install it at all.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer