You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-02 13:21:31

leeghoofd

Change the kernel26 config file for ati users?

Hi,

To get the  propriatary ati drivers working you need to change some parts of the kernel from build in to module. What about changing this in the standard kernel26 so that this will make it easyer to install ati drivers (and update the kernel) for a lot of users. I think it isn't hard to change because the config file is kernel26 package.

I don't know much about kernels and stuff so I don't know if it will be negative for some users? Else of course it shouldn't be changed because only a small percentage of arch users use propiatary ati drivers.

Please give me your opinion about this
David

edit: typo

#2 2005-05-02 16:24:43

i3839

Re: Change the kernel26 config file for ati users?

Arch's default kernel probably has most things build as module already, so nothing should need to change. If you can find some config option which isn't but should then say so (zcat /proc/config.gz | grep ...).

#3 2005-05-02 17:44:52

leeghoofd

This howto tells that all AGP and DRM options should be modules. Here are the options that are currently build in but should be modules:

zcat /proc/config.gz | egrep 'AGP|DRM' | egrep -v '^#|m$'
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=y
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=y
CONFIG_DRM=y

Thanks,
David

#4 2005-05-02 18:09:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

hmmm looks like Xentac did that... I wonder why they're required to be modules... he doesn't check these forums much, but someone should ask him.

#5 2005-05-02 18:38:29

leeghoofd

I don't think that Xentac wrote that, in this thread qwerty wrote it, or is this the same person?

In that thread is also the reason why they need to be modules, the propriatary ati drivers interact with the AGP modules from the kernel. For some reason this doesn't work when they are compiled in the kernel. Shall I send qwerty a message if he can explain better why modules are needed?

Also I'm trying(never made a PKGBUILD...) to merge the two PKGBUILDS from that howto in one so that in the future to install ati drivers one can just type pacman -S ati-drivers, add the module to rc.conf and change xorg.conf to get it working, that should be really cool I think smile

edit: I just found out this isn't needed since I found ati packages in link's reposatority! The only strange thing is that they depend on an older kernel

#6 2005-05-02 18:51:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I got confused with the links being off xentac.net, but they're to a TUR package... and technically, I don't think qwert wrote that page, as version 20 is dated before qwerty became a member, but that's just semantics... he probably spruced it up a bit, as that's the point of the wiki...

#7 2005-05-02 20:02:58

qwerty

I've only updated the wiki page, i don't know who has written the original one but it was so old that it was impossible to make the latest ati drivers work following that howto. Anyway, here you can find any news about the ati drivers (also why they need agpgart built as a module):
http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdispla … e2ebc&f=88

I'm in a hurry. i have to run awayyyyyyyy smile

c ya

#8 2005-06-03 13:27:33

oliv

Same thing here. I'm trying to build the ati dri drivers from source in order to boost my graphic card (an ati mobility M6-P). Using z-buffer seems to double the frames in glxgears but this feature is only in the last dri modules.

I have to rebuild the kernel because DRM isn't build as a module (drm.ko) by default. Should it be ?

#9 2005-06-04 06:47:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

you could try posting a bug, guys - that is the best way to get a dev's attention!  Simply state what you think hsould be done explicitly and then post links to the forum threads about it and the wiki page - then let them figure it out from there

#10 2005-06-04 08:45:57

oliv

I've juste posted it as a bug.

Board footer