You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 22:46:12

Padfoot

[SOLVED] - [Gnome 3] GDM error dialog "failed to start session GNOME"

Hi,

Just installed Gnome 3 from testing.

First boot crashed, but that was a missing library for splashy, so removed splash from my grub boot line.

Now the system boots to GDM. I can start my Xfce session without any issues, but if I select Gnome, I get a dialog "Failed to start session GNOME".

Following is my GDM greeter log:

gnome-session[2208]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/at-spi/at-spi-registryd" (No such file or directory)

(gnome-settings-daemon:2215): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_wmclass: shouldn't set wmclass after window is realized!

** (process:2228): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=2228 display=:0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-RuDxNi/database
gnome-settings-daemon: xcb_io.c:140: dequeue_pending_request: Assertion `req == dpy->xcb->pending_requests' failed.
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
gnome-session[2208]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' killed by signal

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2229): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_xsettings_watch_cb(): Couldn't find window to unwatch

(gnome-power-manager:2226): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_xsettings_watch_cb(): Couldn't find window to unwatch

(gnome-settings-daemon:2234): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_window_set_wmclass: shouldn't set wmclass after window is realized!

gdm-simple-greeter[2228]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:6778: widget not within a GtkWindow
gdm-simple-greeter[2228]: WARNING: Unable to read from file /etc/arch-release
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1000007 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
gdm-simple-greeter[2228]: Gdk-WARNING: gdk_xsettings_watch_cb(): Couldn't find window to unwatch
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1000007 (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(gnome-settings-daemon:2234): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by Padfoot (2011-04-08 23:38:59)

#2 2011-04-08 23:17:26

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] - [Gnome 3] GDM error dialog "failed to start session GNOME"

check ~/.xsession-errors, i don't really need gdm log

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-04-08 23:25:38

Padfoot

I just remembered to do that.....

Think I have found my problem.

The Arch Wiki for Gnome 3 has the line for installing to a new system

# pacman -Syu testing/gnome

This installs gnome 3, but does not include gnome-shell or gnome-panel

Just installing them now. Will report back shortly.

Maybe the Wiki should be updated to reflect this, or the package testing/gnome updated to depend on gnome-shell and gnome-panel.

Cheers.

#4 2011-04-08 23:40:51

Padfoot

All fixed.

I was simply missing probably the 2 major components of the Gnome 3 desktop: gnome-shell and gnome-panel

Is there a particular reason they are not dependencies of the testing/gnome package?

Cheers.

#5 2011-04-09 02:52:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Please open threads in the appropriate forum. Gnome3 belongs in testing as of now.

Moving...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2011-04-09 06:43:59

wonder
Developer
Website

@Padfoot both packages are in gnome group.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer