You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-01 17:52:08

welpert

Arch MicroATX Case Paintjob

Hey Guys,

I'm building a little home webserver out of old hardware and I want to put it in a second hand good-as-new low profile micro-ATX desktop case. I read an old topic a week or so ago about someone who did an Arch paintjob on his netbook, and decided I would do the same this week for that second hand case. I intend on using this case when I upgrade to a new system in a year or so anyway, then my current main system will become a server (currently my vga/sata controller cards are not low profile, otherwise I would have put my main system in there). Until then I'll have something nice to look at smile

Today I decided to go to the shop to get the primer and paint. I took some 'before' pictures. I am going to clean the case to remove any grease tonight. Tomorrow I have to work all day but I will put on the black primer in the evening. I will then have to wait a while until the primer sets adequately.

After the primer has set and I begin the actual paintjob, I think I'll spray a patch a little larger than the size of the logo in the metallic blue paint, then wait until the blue has dried (a few days?), then cut the logo out of stickerpaper and stick it exactly over the blue area, then paint everything black and wait until that dries (another couple of days?), then remove the sticker. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea (e.d. will the paint stick to the stickerpaper or other such disasters), please give me a heads up. This is my first paint-job!

EDIT: I've decided to do it proper and sand the case down properly first, then clean it and put the primer on. Also, I've decided to paint it black first, then go for the usual method for applying the Arch logo - using a cutout.

These are my 'before' pictures:

Case top:
tNzh4Ng

Case front:
tNzh4Nw

Primer and paint:
tNzh4OA

I have light metallic blue for the Arch logo and semi gloss black for the rest of the case. I just hope there is enough black paint in that little spraycan. The guy in the shop said it should just about cover it and I said I'd come back for another can if it doesn't (shop is around the corner).

Stay tuned!

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-01 18:33:46)

“Great art is horseshit, buy tacos.” - Charles Bukowski

freenode/archlinux: nl-trisk

#2 2011-02-03 04:24:55

milso
Website

Re: Arch MicroATX Case Paintjob

Man I can't wait to see this, I need to start a project like this.

#3 2011-02-06 03:38:39

redhalo

Hey, this is something different for around here. And MicroATX, my favorite form factor. Looking forward to the results.

#4 2011-02-06 21:56:24

Labello
Website

Bundesagentur für Arbeit?

Ist ja ma witzig! Geklaut?^^

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#5 2011-02-07 16:32:38

welpert

Labello wrote:

Bundesagentur für Arbeit?

Ist ja ma witzig! Geklaut?^^

Poster asks: 'Bundesagentur fur Arbeit?' (Federal Employment Agency .. see text on the case).. 'Isn't that funny, did you steal it?'

To which I reply:

'Ich bin Niederlandisch, nicht Deutsch wink Aber nicht geklaut, gekauft auf marktplaats.nl.' (I'm Dutch, not German wink It's not stolen, I've bought this on marktplaats.nl which is a kind of Dutch ebay)

Anyhow, sorry for the delay, looks like I'll be needing some Bundesagentur fur Arbeit since I was informed last wednesday that I'll have no work at my current employer for at least three months.. Oh well smile

Today I bought some sandpaper:

tN2Jxeg

I'll sand, clean and prime the case tonight.

P.S. sorry if the pictures are a little blurry, seems the trusty camera is giving the ghost..

Stay tuned!

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-07 16:44:05)

#6 2011-02-07 17:11:04

Unia
Website

welpert wrote:

seems the trusty camera is giving the ghost..

Stay tuned!

Du weisst.. nee ik hou het bij Nederlands. Je weet toch wel dat dat geen Engels gezegde is? (Of zit ik er nu finaal naast?)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#7 2011-02-07 17:27:12

welpert

Unia wrote:
welpert wrote:

seems the trusty camera is giving the ghost..

Stay tuned!

Du weisst.. nee ik hou het bij Nederlands. Je weet toch wel dat dat geen Engels gezegde is? (Of zit ik er nu finaal naast?)

I don't count writing in German as one of my talents wink And let's just keep it English here for all followers. To give up the ghost is valid in English, I just left out the word 'up'. But who cares about making other people feel bad about their language skills, when this is about my paintjob! Take it somewhere else please.

#8 2011-02-07 18:16:19

Unia
Website

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way by asking about that ghost thing; I just thought you were making up your own translations like many Dutch people do. (and with the 'du weisst... nee ik hou het bij Nederlands' part, I was referring to my own German skills, not yours)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#9 2011-02-07 18:40:32

welpert

Unia wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way by asking about that ghost thing; I just thought you were making up your own translations like many Dutch people do. (and with the 'du weisst... nee ik hou het bij Nederlands' part, I was referring to my own German skills, not yours)

Alright, my mistake then. Just thought you were trolling in ehm.. typical Dutch fashion, criticizing grammar wink Maybe I should stop frequenting Dutch boards for a while to partially reverse the conditioning tongue And well, I guess I do make up some of my German wink

Anyway, planning to start sanding in half an hour.

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-07 18:41:19)

#10 2011-02-07 19:33:32

welpert

So, now my main camera ran out of batteries so I had to see if the broken samsung phone would still take pictures (it did!).

Sanding down:

tN2J1ZQ

Just want to rough up the paint a bit so the primer will attach firmly.

#11 2011-02-07 22:01:11

welpert

I had a picture of the cleaning process, which I did with ammonia on a piece of cloth, but it seems to have vanished from the phone. After almost choking even though the window was wide open, I let the ammonia evaporate for 15 minutes until it was dry.

In the mean time I had myself a cup of black magic coffee.

tN2J3ZQ

Hmm smile

After this, I proceeded to spray the case with primer:
tN2J3aA
tN2J3Zg
tN2J3aQ
tN2J3Zw

Finished off some details (I've covered the led-areas with small bits of blue-tack):
tN2J3bQ

Don't forget the drive placeholders:
tN2J3bg

All primed:
tN2J3bw

Now all we have to do is let the primer dry over night. I'll have to look up how soon one can paint over this kind of primer before painting tomorrow (whoops, tilted picture!).
tN2J3cA

Stay tuned!

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-07 22:01:44)

#12 2011-02-08 00:07:45

welpert

In the mean time, I made a cut-out for painting the arch logo on the case later:

tN2J5bQ
Last year's study material put to good use tongue

tN2J5bg
tN2J5bw
tN2J5cA
tN2J5cA
tN2J5cQ
tN2J5cw

#13 2011-02-08 21:22:49

killerturtle

Dude, i'm gonna follow this one smile

Leuks zeg, nog enkele hollanders met een Arch fobie!
Succes!

Greetz
Sven

#14 2011-02-14 22:22:24

thechitowncubs
Website

Update please smile

#15 2011-02-25 08:27:10

ftornell
Website

cool!

[ logicspot.NET | mempad.org ]
Archlinux x64

#16 2011-02-25 17:25:46

welpert

Okay guys!

First of all, sorry for the rather long delay.

So today I found the time and energy to continue this cool project!

First I took a piece of toilet paper to rub off the excess paint that still rubbed off when I would touch the case.
tN2s0Yw
tN2s0ZA
tN2s0ZQ

Next, after blowing off all dust and particles left by the toilet paper I proceeded to spray the case with the semi-gloss black paint.
tN2s0Zg
tN2s0Zw
tN2s0bQ
tN2s0bg

In order to paint the front of the case I had to cover the LEDs again, so I cut two tiny circle-shaped pieces from the edge of a bandaid and stuck them over the LEDs.

tN2s0bw
tN2s0cA
tN2s0cQ

After painting everything, here is the result of the black semi-gloss paint layer:
tN2s0dA

Don't forget the drive placeholders!
tN2s0dQ

A final shot with flash the flash turned on (so you can see the semi-gloss finish a little better):
tN2s0dg

So now I'm waiting for the thing to dry so I can paint the blue logo!

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-25 20:16:07)

#17 2011-02-25 18:56:08

welpert

Allright!

I've painted the logo on, it didn't quite go as planned so I had to do some emergency operating! While I was removing the stencil, I accidentally dropped a piece of blue paint-covered cellotape I used back onto the case. It made a huge mess on the nice black surface and smeared a bit of the side of the logo.

I immediately grabbed a piece of toilet paper with thinner on it to remove the mess. Unfortunately this removed some of the paint including primer (nothing too bad though) so I had to respray black to fix that. I used an envelope to fix the logo.

See the pictures below.

tN2s2eQ
tN2s2eg
tN2s3MA

... EMERGENCY OPERATION IN PROGRESS - NO CAMERAS ALLOWED IN OPERATING ROOM ...

And the final result:
tN2s3Mg

As you can see, there are some little blue spots that need to be removed. They do seem more visible on camera than in real life though, but I'll propably just use a small brush to fix them.

All in all not a bad result though! What do you guys think?

#18 2011-02-25 18:59:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Very nice !!!

Congratulations on a job well done (almost, if not for the Emergency Operation wink )

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#19 2011-02-25 19:58:26

welpert

Inxsible wrote:

Very nice !!!

Congratulations on a job well done (almost, if not for the Emergency Operation wink )

Thanks!

Here's a list of future things I want to do to this case:

1. Clean up the blue paint specs;

2. Replace the LEDs by a blue one and a white one. The LEDs are now red and orange, not very Archy colors;

3. Figure out how to build a DIY-lcd display (probably going to bit**** it through the unused serial port connector on the motherboard) and put that inside the 5-1/2 inch drive placeholder.

But before embarking on the above adventures I'll post some pictures here when I get the base system built into the case (I'm in desperate need of a pci-riser card for my SATA-controller card, any Dutchies here willing to donate/sell?).

Here's a list of things I've learnt so far during this project:

1. Spray-painting logos is not efficient and puts you at risk of messing up the paintjob. Use sticker paper!;

2. Low-profile hardware is still hard to find, especially at a reasonable price;

3. A small can of spray-paint is more than enough to paint an ATX case. Do not listen to salespersons in hobby-shops.

Last edited by welpert (2011-02-25 19:59:40)

#20 2011-03-25 08:59:51

zenlord
Website

Very nicely done!

[Dutch]Ik heb in mijn studentenjaren ook wel eens zo'n paintjob gedaan, maar had niet het geduld om het *echt* goed te doen. Het resultaat was niet slecht, maar dit is duidelijk veel beter - ik weet trouwens ook dat kleine 'artefactjes' veel beter zichtbaar zijn op de foto dan IRL)[/Dutch]

Go tweaker!

#21 2011-04-08 14:01:48

ksira

Awesome work!

#22 2011-04-09 01:24:15

kdar

Amazing! smile I got to do something like this to my boring black computer case.

Board footer