You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-05 20:19:09

SkydiverGoose

Cannot boot arch

Hey folks.

Got a brand new HP dv6 laptop with an AMD Phenom quad core processor that's refusing to boot. I got through the install ok, and the reboot after the install. I was installing the gnome desktop environment and took the dog out while waiting on the huge download/install. When I came back, my laptop screen was blacked out, and didn't respond to any keyboard/mouse stimuli.

I did a hard power off, and started it back up, and tried to boot arch. Among the startup fly-by info, I saw:

CPU 1: Not responding
CPU 2: Not responding
CPU 3: OK

After this, a few more lines go by, and then the system locks up with a blacked out screen and a flashing caps lock light. Same happens when I try and boot into Arch recovery. Windows still boots just fine.

It's a 64 bit install.

#2 2011-04-05 23:49:41

whatshisname

Re: Cannot boot arch

It could be any of a number of reasons why it won't reboot.  And if you're not sure about which part of the process took a dive, we're all going to be shooting in the dark.

Since it's a new install, your best bet is probably just to reinstall.  If for no other reason just to make sure you have a clean install.

Sometimes it's just best to cut your losses and move on.

Good luck.

PS.  I often takes 2 or 3 shots at new installs, especially with new distributions.  You learn something new in each install so it's not like you're wasting time.

#3 2011-04-06 01:17:57

ewaller
Administrator

SkydiverGoose wrote:

...and then the system locks up with a blacked out screen and a flashing caps lock light.

That would be a "kernel panic"  That flashing caps lock means something happened that the kernel decided it  was not reasonable to proceed.

There are a few things you can try depending on what we think may be the problem.
If we could find out what it was up to during those last few lines, it might help.

What happens if you hit <ctrl><alt>F12 ?  It might show you some stuff.
Also, Try <ctrl><alt>F1 to  see if the console is still visible.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-04-06 20:31:24

admiralspark

Well, two questions that might help solve this:
1) Is the POST passing or do you have a 'fastboot' option enabled in the bios? Because it's odd that it would've worked after reboot, and just not after gnome was installed....there's no "special kernel" or anything dealing with the boot process that would be installed with the gnome packages, save GDM (and you're not getting that far in the boot now right?).

2) Is there any way the drive may have become corrupted? Can you check it with the harddrive-maker's testing software? Or even check the SMART outputs from, say, a partedMagic livecd/liveusb.

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

#5 2011-04-07 19:04:25

SkydiverGoose

To respond to ewaller's suggestions:

Neither Ctrl + Alt + F12 elicits a response, nor Ctrl + Alt + F1-F6.

In my best attempt at trying to provide more information, I've used my android to take a video of the laptop starting up, up to the blank black screen, hopefully it can be of use. On a mildly related note, I think it's weird that I can see myself in the reflection of the screen once it goes black, but I'm trying to fix my laptop here, so bear with me tongue

Video is .3gp format, usual mobile video format, VLC can play it.
http://goose.honk-honk.org/files/2011-0 … 15_708.3gp

If I can get away without having to do a reinstall, then I'd prefer not to, as the installation seemed to go off without a hitch. But if it appears that's what the actual issue is, I can certainly reinstall.
Thanks.

#6 2011-04-09 02:12:37

SkydiverGoose

Bump

#7 2011-04-09 03:25:32

ewaller
Administrator

Ouch.  The video says it all, and there are not many clues.  I was going to suggest some kernel command line options like noapic and noacpi, but you say you had previously been able to install and boot hmm  You might look at this article on kernel panics

I went ahead and killed the accidental double post you had edited for you.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2011-04-09 12:21:51

SkydiverGoose

Unfortunately, I don't think I can use anything from that article applicably. I'll try a reinstall of the OS. Before I do the reinstall, though, because windows is a hard disk whore and has 3 primary partitions, I was using an extended partition for Arch with a single ext4 partition for / and a swap partition. I didn't have a separate /boot partition. Is this bad?

#9 2011-04-09 15:55:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

No. Arch runs just fine under an extended partition and you don't need to have a separate /boot partition. I sure don't have one. At this point, I can only suggest that you follow the Beginner's Guide to the letter and try a re-install. Read it a couple of times before attempting the actual install.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#10 2011-04-09 16:00:39

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

What kernel version do you have installed?

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-04-09 16:05:42)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer