You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 04:32:55

wilberfan

Gnome 3 (Fallback Mode): Changing Window Theme, etc?

I've gotten Gnome 3 installed on my old laptop--although it will only run in fallback mode.

Is there a way to change the look of the windows?  (I've read that Metacity is the window manager in fallback mode.)  And I don't see an obvious way to change fonts, etc, in System Tools -> System Settings.

Also, should I comment-out the testing repo AFTER updating to Gnome 3?  Or is it best left 'active'?

Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

#2 2011-04-09 04:45:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Gnome 3 (Fallback Mode): Changing Window Theme, etc?

Moved to [testing]

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-09 16:56:50

solstice
Website

I am also looking for an answer to that question. gnome 2 theme are supposed too work from what I have seen? tht's remain to be porven ? and how do you install such a theme then ?

I don't quite like gnome shell. Need to move the mouse all around left-right-left etc ... for just nothing. except loosing time

Last edited by solstice (2011-04-09 17:23:58)

#4 2011-04-09 17:09:13

wonder
Developer
Website

you can do it only using gconf-editor

apps/metacity/general/theme

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2011-04-09 17:27:10

solstice
Website

that's obviously not enough. I have already Clearlooks in apps/metacity/general/theme

edit:
you need to place the themes files inside ~/.themes

Last edited by solstice (2011-04-09 17:44:00)

#6 2012-09-01 00:03:04

trusktr
Banned
Website

Adding to what solstice said, you can also place themes in the system-wide folder at /usr/share/themes.

Like wonder said, the window decorations in Classic (Fallback) mode are changed via the Gconf key apps/metacity/general/theme.

The GTK theme (for both GTK2.0 and GTK3.0) can be changed via the Dconf key org/gnome/desktop/interface/gtk-theme.
Make sure name you put in those keys matches the name of the theme's folder, which is case sensitive.

You'll see other keys in gconf and dconf and if you try changing them nothing will happen. I don't know why Gnome did this, but it's un-intuitive and pointless. There should be only one key for the GTK theme and one key for the Metacity theme (be it in gconf or dconf), etc, and that's it. For example, if you are in Classic (Fallback) mode, you'll notice that modifying the Dconf key org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/theme does absolutely nothing at all, which is misleading. There are a few keys like this in gconf and dconf. hmm

The icon theme can be changed in the Dconf key org/gnome/desktop/interface/icon-theme and the cursor theme in the Dconf key [I'll be back to post].

Lastly, some people have problems where the cursor theme changes depending on which window the cursor is in (Firefox for example). The solution for that lies here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=922635. Gnome needs to fix those simple issues. It's been a couple years and they still haven't, and now it's even worse with the gconf/dconf mess.

You may have noticed that in Classic (Fallback) mode, changing some aspects with Gnome Tweak Tool doesn't work (presumably because tweak is changing the wrong gconf/dconf keys for Fallback mode). Editing the keys above manually is the workaround until someone fixes Tweak Tool for Classic mode.

Last edited by trusktr (2012-09-09 00:47:05)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#7 2012-09-12 07:01:02

amadar
Banned

@trusktr, awesome. Thanks!

Board footer