You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 21:21:57

NoiSe_NOR

[Solved] Dual Monitor configuration for opensource ATI driver

After https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115973  failing to get the catalyst driver to work i decided to go with the open source one, so i can i finally start actually setting up Arch again. Now i am starting thinking somehow it shouldn't be. The driver (or X) is not setting up the screens probably. I have one 1280x1024 and one 1920x1080 but when i startx the resultion on both are 1280x1024 and they are cloned(same content on both screens) So i looked out over the Wiki on how to configure for a dual monitor setup. The only solid help i found was a 10-monitor.conf for dual monitor setup but for nvidia cards, i tryed my best into making it work, but as i expectet i fail; both screens just go black and don't even get a signal with my configuration. The result i actually want is that i have one Workspace going over both screens so i can move windows in between. Here is my 10-monitor.conf :

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "DualSreen"
    Screen       0 "Screen0"
    Screen       1 "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0" #Screen1 at the right of Screen0
    Option         "Xinerama" "1" #To move windows between screens
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    Option         "Enable" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor1"
    Option         "Enable" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "radeon"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen         0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "radeon"
    BusID        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Screen         1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier      "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth          24
        Modes          "1280x1024_60.00"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier      "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "Monitor1"
    DefaultDepth   24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth          24
        Modes         "1920x1080_60.00"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Last edited by NoiSe_NOR (2011-04-10 14:03:49)

#2 2011-04-09 21:28:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Dual Monitor configuration for opensource ATI driver

I  used xf86-video-ati and had a dual monitor config in my 10-monitor.conf. Then I used xrandr, to set up the monitors the way I wanted. you know the whole DVI-1 to the left of DVI-0 shebang.

I use i3, and I could create workspaces on both monitors and transfer windows between them. What's wrong with using xrandr again (as you mentioned in your linked thread)?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-09 23:55:54

BurntSushi
Website

If you're using xf86-video-ati you shouldn't need an xorg.conf or a 10-monitor.conf file at all. See thinkwiki's article on RandR.

Once you have a configuration you like, just add it to your .xinitrc before you start your window manager.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#4 2011-04-10 03:42:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I needed a 10-monitor.conf because both my monitors had a different max resolution. If I didn't use a conf file, the resolution on both would be 1280x1024 (the highest for one of the monitors) To get 1680x1050 on my newer monitor, I had to use a 10-monitor.conf file to set the different default resolution for both monitors.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-04-10 04:04:46

BurntSushi
Website

Inxsible wrote:

I needed a 10-monitor.conf because both my monitors had a different max resolution. If I didn't use a conf file, the resolution on both would be 1280x1024 (the highest for one of the monitors) To get 1680x1050 on my newer monitor, I had to use a 10-monitor.conf file to set the different default resolution for both monitors.

If you don't make any calls to xrandr when you start X, then yes, that is correct. Otherwise, `xrandr --output DIS1 --auto --output DIS2 --auto --right-of DIS1` will use the best resolution reported by each monitor. (Even if they are different.)

If you're cloning though, the behavior might be different, I'm not sure.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#6 2011-04-10 13:18:18

NoiSe_NOR

i would like to try xrandr but i allways get an output like this when doing anything with xrandr: Can't open display

EDIT: never mind i had to be in X for xrandr to work "doh!"

EDIT2: i got it to work, even with my TV to be working together with my two desktopscreens, amazing. Thx for all the help
If someone is couriuse i used the gui tool arandr, as i didnt got it to work with the terminal, when i had it like i wanted, i saved the script and pasted in the .xinitrc, but it has to be before the actual WM.

Last edited by NoiSe_NOR (2011-04-10 14:03:13)

#7 2011-04-10 13:56:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

So I assume that everything works now. Please mark thread as SOLVED.

Forum Rules

Board footer