You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-11 15:14:23

centos

Resizing partition - boot problem?

Hello everyone. I've been using Arch for three days now and like it. Problem is I installed it on a small partition and now I have only less than 1GB disk space left.
So here is my situation: I have primary partition (Windows7) and Extended partition. Extended looks like this:

[sda5 -exUbuntu][sda8 -Arch][sda7 swap][sda6 ntfs data]

So i want to delete sda5 partition (which would give me 20 more gigabytes) and resize sda5 partition to it. But:
1) I remember GParted not being capable of resizing to free space to the left side, only right side. I would give it a shot, but here comes next problem
2) deleting partition sda5 changes sda8 to sda7 and sda7 to sda6. I guess boot would fail then since these partitions are mentioned in menu.lst and also fstab.

What's the best solution for this? Maybe I could try changing sdaX in those two files and then play with those partitions, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough.

Thanks.

#2 2011-04-11 17:10:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Resizing partition - boot problem?

1) Delete sda5
2) Move sda6 to the left
3) Merge the unallocated space with the Arch partition.

As for the booting, use UUIDs

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-11 17:22:42

centos

Re: Resizing partition - boot problem?

So after all these operations, UUID for current Arch partition stays the same? If so, that's exactly what I needed, thanks.

Board footer