You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-14 19:20:00

Mazh

Few questions to resolves under linux

Big change, I've switched from windows to arch linux recently and I love it, but I still from now have few things to fix and consider that 1 week ago I was big noob on linux and i had to read so much, and I know it's big challenge to start with arch cause compare to ubuntu lololol...:

1. When i do a pacman -Syu here is my output:

libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-utils? [y/N]

Now what happen if I delete my nvidia-utils, cause Nvidia is my graphic driver and I wouldn't lose my GUI. I fear to tell Y but if I do N nothing upgrade at all, I've somewhere that i can do --ignore libgl but I don't think it's good solution

And it is possible to know if libgl is really used by my computer from any software or whatever? I've read somewhere to pacman -Rdd libgl but i was unsure...

2. Then, next question is about my keyboard layout, and I'm not sure if I've installed already all the xorg stuff :
     xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils
cause when I do try to setxkbmap fr-legacy the output from this is :

No protocol specified                                                                                                                                                                                      
Cannot open display ":0" 

I wanted to pacman -S every packages, but will this affect my .conf and reset everything I've done into it? Will this affect my current KDE interface?
I'm a bit messed up with this tuto by the way: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xo … d_settings

3. Finally, I've resolved my sound problem but here is still a little problem remaining to this: I'd to set my headset as primary sound output, so I've put it as master channel, put it up in the device preference, but now my media from OS coming from headset but chrome (flash video) won<t redirect to my headset, and giving sound from my sound card plugged to my computer.

I've UTFSE for hours, but now I ask for little help, if you need more info, just ask me.

This is my 1st installation and I was thinking about to reinstall everything cause I feel that i've installed useless packages and made many tries and maybe fuked up few conf fiel or I don;t know yet...

cordially, maz

#2 2011-04-14 20:06:08

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Few questions to resolves under linux

Mazh wrote:

I've somewhere that i can do --ignore libgl but I don't think it's good solution

It is, because that's the only way to go if you want to keep using the nvidia driver. nvidia provides an implementation that will handle all that libgl does.

for 2) try reboot. if you ~/.Xauthority file is missing, it gives this error at times. But I am not a 100% sure that is the problem. I might be way off base.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-14 20:13:23

NewWorld

I can only help with 1. You can download the 'nvidia-utils' with `pacman -w nvidia-utils`. Then after uninstalling 'nvidia-utils', when you restart, if there is no GUI do Ctrl+Alt+F2 to switch to a terminal; log in; then `pacman -U /wherever/you/saved/nvidia-utils` to reinstall it.

#4 2011-04-14 21:06:25

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

What gfx card do you have? If it's a 6 serie or newer then you should use nvidia + nvidia-utils from extra, and you should uninstall all other gfx drivers.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-04-14 21:07:00)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2011-04-15 01:10:45

Mazh

Problem no. 1 :
I'll past you my output code:

pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-utils? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: nvidia: requires nvidia-utils=270.41.03

Now even if I do --ignore libgl they are giving me some warning with this error related to dependency and finally writing me back this error below.

I've also tried to remove with pacman but they are telling me same error

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ati-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: intel-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: libva: requires libgl
:: mach64-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: mesa: requires libgl
:: mga-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: mplayer: requires libgl
:: nouveau-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: nvidia: requires nvidia-utils=270.41.03
:: qt: requires libgl
:: r128-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: sis-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: tdfx-dri: requires libgl=7.10.1
:: xine-lib: requires libgl
:: xorg-xdriinfo: requires libgl

@ elendig
I've GeForce GTS 450

Should I do pacman -Syud and install all this stuff, apparently missing or I don't know...? (I've read this is to my own risk to do that so I wasn't so sure, can you confirm if it is good to do so or there is another better solution)

problem no. 2:
no I don't have this Xauthority file, what shall I do now? I lost and I'm bored to write with US keyboard layout tbh big_smile

Problem no. 3:
I know nobody answered about this problem, but anyone can give me his experience? I've USB and sound card from motherboard, but it seems that i cannot change the output to my USB, any tips?

Another quick question, packages I can download from pacman have been approved and are in the community arch linux database, in opposite of AUR database that are not really official packages but made form anyone and not downloadable from pacman, cause you must do it with makepkg etc. right? maybe I'm wrong, what if I need to find a compensate program for skype or office for exemple? Yeah I know about openoffice, but outside of this... should I check always if they are packages from arch linux database before to check with AUR?

Thx for helping btw!

Last edited by Mazh (2011-04-15 02:08:00)

#6 2011-04-15 03:36:04

karol
Archivist

You need either nouveau or nvidia - you can't have them both installed. Nouveau uses libgl which conflicts with nvidia-utils. You need to remove either nouveau or nvidia.
If you want to switch the drivers from time to time, check the wiki.
Try

pacman -Rdds nouveau-dri xf86-video-nouveau libgl

Last edited by karol (2011-04-15 03:37:21)

#7 2011-04-15 03:56:56

Meyithi
Website

You seemed to have installed the whole xorg group, which has installed all of the xorg graphic drivers, remove them and then install nvidia, job done.

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#8 2011-04-15 14:16:29

Mazh

I did remove nouveau-dri and xf86-video-nouveau successfully but when I did try to remove libgl:

error: 'libgl': target not found

I can remember installing all of these stuff cause I think nouveau drivers wasn't working yet and tried to installed some other stuffs (like xorg) but I didn't know it was package of driver probably. So what I've done is uninstalling all the list of drivers I've posted in my last post. Everything was successfully removed but I've still this conflit. Would you suggest me to go in console mode and try to remove libgl and otherwise removing nvidia-uitls to reinstalling it?

Anyway I didn"t reboot, I'll do it before to say any others suggestions.

#9 2011-04-16 18:22:27

Mazh

Anyone please? isn't that strange I've not libgl when I try to delete but still in conflit with nvidia-utils? what do you suggest

# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                  37.5K  181.9K/s 00:00:00 [###################################] 100%
 extra                                467.4K  737.0K/s 00:00:01 [###################################] 100%
 community                            434.9K  680.1K/s 00:00:01 [###################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-utils? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict
[root@myhost mazax]# pacman -Rdds lidgl
error: 'lidgl': target not found

Last edited by Mazh (2011-04-16 18:22:50)

#10 2011-04-16 18:42:20

skunktrader

lidgl != libgl

#11 2011-04-16 18:56:17

shulamy

i'm not a kde man but i'm sure there is a keyboard settings somewhere.

ezik

#12 2011-04-16 19:42:07

Mazh

yeah, I've noticed after the post Skunktrader, thx anyway, what I did is uninstalling this libgl and also nvidia-utils to just reinstalling and reset it to zero. Now pacman works great when updating packages!

For the keyboard things, I'm still working on it, but I found a solution about my 1st error msg, now I must try to find on some forum why I get this error:

setxkbmap fr-legacy
Error loading new keyboard description

*found the problem*

I had not the right keyboard layout name for this problem when I checked my xorg.lst, easy one!

The only one problem remaining is my audio output, I'd enjoy any suggestion from anyone on how to set master output channel. I've USB headset and sound card form motherboard, and I did put my headset usb at top of every device preferences and as master channel, it works everywhere BUT on chromium, which output my audio from my sound card connected to my stereo.

Thx for all your help for my 2st problems!

Last edited by Mazh (2011-04-16 19:53:33)

Board footer