You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-06 10:36:35

nornn

arch linux freezes or the network connection stops working

Hello.

I have finished installing arch-linux from ftp and gone about configuring the rc.conf and other configuration files.  Xserver works fine with gnome, windowmaker and everything else.  Configured sshd so that I can ssh into my arch box remotely, I kept the ALL:ALL in hosts.deny but added SSHD: ALLOW:ALL so that sshing into my archlinux box is possible.  My problem is actually two seperate problems, but I will begin with the major problem first and that is after some time my archlinux box is disconnects its net connection.  I have been in front of my archlinux box and rebooted the box twice to check if it holds the network and ssh configuration that I have set up and it works fine.  However, I will go home and try to connect to my arch linux box which is at work, but I can not connect using ssh because the network connection is down.  I know this because I ping my archlinux box and even ssh into another linux box and run nmap -Sp to see if it is up.  The last time this happened I went to check on my archlinux box and found it was frozen and only a hard reboot worked to get it working again.  Could my problem be that I have eepro100 in my modules section in rc.conf and I also have a alias eth0 eepro100 in my modules.conf?  Could there be a conflict there?  My other problem is during the boot process I see that after initiating swap there comes an entry for adding swap which results in a failed operation, however I know that I have a working swap partition because I see that by free | grep Swap that swap is working is this a known bug?

thank you thank you very much.

#2 2003-11-06 23:16:08

andy

Re: arch linux freezes or the network connection stops working

Having eepro100 in both files should not be a problem. If you modprobe a module which is already loaded, it will notice that fact and nothing bad happens. Also, vice versa, if the module is loaded and eth0 is adressed and eepro100 is already registered as eth0, everything is fine.

However, speaking of eepro100, you could try e100 instead. e100 is directly from Intel. I have that one in one box and no problems. No idea, if the NIC is really the cause, of course !

About the swap : if the swapspace is bad, this could be bad for the system. What is the exact error ?

#3 2003-11-07 11:05:16

nornn

I came across some information about the eepro100 module that I thought could be the culprit of my problems.  I changed the network module from eepro100 to e100 in rc.conf and wiped out my eepro100 alias in modules.conf.  My network connection worked for approximately 3hrs.  I had been using ssh to make changes in my archlinux box and took an hour break and when I went back to see if it was still connected I saw that my ssh connection was broken and I could see the box did not respond to ping.  The error I get when booting up is that adding swap 258k failed [priority -1].  What is wrong?

#4 2003-11-08 14:08:27

andy

OK, so the specific module was not the problem.

Let's diagnose the swap problem. Cut and paste the output of the following commands (you may have to be root for some commands):

cat /proc/swaps
free
fdisk -l
grep -i swap /etc/fstab
grep -r -i swap /etc/rc*
grep -i swap /var/log/kernel*

If swap turns out to be fine, then you have either a hardware problem, or the kernel is not correctly configured for your hardware.

#5 2003-11-10 00:23:23

nornn

Thanks Andy.

I took your advice and found nothing unusual with my swap partition.  What I did to fix the problem was to change my power management settings in the bios, that is I disabled automatic power management.  I also used fdisk to wipe out my swap partition and create a new one then I used mkswap -c /dev/hdax.  I enabled ide-scsi in rc.modules in modules and did a depmod -a and then a modprobe for my e100 network module.  I hope that helps anybody with the same problem I had.  I am curious as to how to find out exactly which modules that I need to have use.  Where can I get the information from my system to find all the modules I need.  I have hotplug but I am not exactly sure how to use it to probe for the modules I need in rc.conf.  My rc.conf modules section looks like this.
MODULES=(!usbserial ide-scsi e100)
The only errors that I found in my kernel log is the ones below.
:Nov  8 23:12:43 eike kernel: hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
/var/log/kernel.1:Nov  8 23:12:43 eike kernel: hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

#6 2003-11-10 12:54:00

andy

Cool that it worked out !
It's always better to let Linux handle the APM instead of the BIOS.

About the module selection : try
http://amlug.org/new-projects/hwd/hwd.html

Also read about it here :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=580

Board footer