You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-06 02:16:38

FalseLogic

Updated today, cannot log in

I did a search of the forum, and read the stickies, but I got no relevant results...

On my netbook I've been running arch with no issues for months. Updates have been fine, and I only ran into the occasional error message. I've been using SLiM to log in, but today, I hit a rough patch.

Normally, during boot, after grub, I would be greeted with splashy, and then a black screen for a few seconds, then SLiM. Today, after running pacman -Syu, networkmanager stopped working, so I decided I'd give the system a reboot to see if that would clear up the issue. After rebooting, SLiM will not load. Nothing is displayed at all. I have tried typing in my username and password anyway, and nothing has happened. The screen is entirely black, with a blinking console cursor about 3/4 down the screen all the way on the left side. I also tried Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6, but this has also done nothing.

I tried running the fallback option in grub, and I get the same exact thing, just no blinking cursor. If I type in my username and password, I am greeted by the sound of the hard drive being accessed, but the screen remains blank.

I'm not entirely sure what to do. Any tips?

Thanks

#2 2011-05-06 03:05:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Updated today, cannot log in

What DE are you using?

Check your log files. They are the best place to start when debugging problems.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-05-06 03:54:24

FalseLogic

I don't have a full desktop environment, but I'm using openbox. Which log files should I check? I'll set up a live flash drive.

#4 2011-05-06 06:39:38

vinayv

Looks like a problem with X or the video driver.. The Xorg log should be looked at - /var/log/Xorg.log.0

Also see if you can boot into text mode and do a startx (to rule out SLiM/display mgr problems)

#5 2011-05-06 06:59:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

The first log to check would be pacman - to understand what packages you upgraded. Also, check for any pacnew files...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2011-05-07 01:54:05

yungtrizzle

Like the others say, check your logs, look at your slim.conf too. How does slim run? Using inittab or daemons array?

Board footer