You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-20 15:22:39

myrlin

HELP! Where can I get KDE 3.5 from?

I'm in the middle of installing Arch on a "live" machine for the first time. I have used OpenSuSE for many years, but decided to switch away because it was no longer supporting KDE 3 (I HATE KDE4!). I tried Arch out on a virtual machine with KDEMod3 from the Chakra project, and that had a bid influence on my decision to move. Anyway, I got to the stage of installing the Desktop, went to the Chakra Project, and discovered they'd hosed it sad

What can I do? I REALLY want KDE 3 on my machine.

I hope someone can help me.

#2 2010-08-20 15:33:12

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: HELP! Where can I get KDE 3.5 from?

Afaik there is no actively maintained repository with KDE 3 for Arch.

#3 2010-08-20 15:37:41

karol
Archivist

There was another user who resorted to compiling KDE 3.5 for himself, maybe he can share it with you.

#4 2010-08-20 15:40:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

or compiling from source would also be an option. I am sure the KDE devs have the branch somewhere in their repo (cvs/svn/git/hg/bzr) what ever that is they use

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2010-08-20 15:52:46

myrlin

Wow! Looks scary. Is it as hard as I think it is?

There is a very interesting project called the Trinity Project which has forked KDE3, and released KDE 3.5.11, but they've only packaged it for Ubuntu so far. They do have the source code available, but this is way beyond what I've ever done before (although I'm willing to try anything!).

#6 2010-08-20 15:58:06

wonder
Developer
Website

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#7 2010-08-20 15:58:36

karol
Archivist

myrlin wrote:

Wow! Looks scary. Is it as hard as I think it is?

There is a very interesting project called the Trinity Project which has forked KDE3, and released KDE 3.5.11, but they've only packaged it for Ubuntu so far. They do have the source code available, but this is way beyond what I've ever done before (although I'm willing to try anything!).

Building the whole DE - and KDE at that - is not the easiest thing. It may be long and tedious but gentoo folk is doing it all the time :-)

Last edited by karol (2010-08-20 15:59:15)

#8 2010-08-20 16:06:41

sctincman

If there is an ubuntu package, maybe it will work on arch too, using deb2targz?

#9 2010-08-20 16:14:32

imag1narynumber

What about https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=769757 ?

[edit] Sorry, didn't refresh the page first.

Last edited by imag1narynumber (2010-08-20 16:15:31)

#10 2010-08-21 08:42:16

myrlin

Lots to think about here, but at least it looks as though all is not lost.

Many thanks to everyone for your help, and for pushing my knowledge level forward!

#11 2010-08-21 09:30:15

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

sctincman wrote:

If there is an ubuntu package, maybe it will work on arch too, using deb2targz?

That might work for a single package, but for a complete DE - and a set of packages that depend on one another - I think success rates are drastically lower smile.

This topic mentions (and links to) a 3.5.10 repository for Arch. Recent messages in the thread suggest it's unmaintained though.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#12 2011-05-10 22:49:46

kwd

There are two (or more) groups working on making KDE 3.5 available for ArchLinux.  This link will probably answer anyone's questions:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Trinity

I am waiting for the KDE 3.5.13 version to be released which should be available in the next couple of months.  That version should be much improved and is being built with the help of several ArchLinux  users.  Meanwhile I am using Trinity's Ubuntu Maverick version of KDE3.5.12 grrrr... I don't like those Ubuntu people, they are trying to stop me from playing with my root--In fact I believe they want to whack it off with a big sharp knife....

There is currently a 3.5.12 version available  for Arch and the info about that is in the link above.  That version is the same version  I am using on Trinity's Ubuntu release.  It works as well as the original KDE 3.5.10 did.  As soon as the Arch version is available I am switching to Arch and won't look back...

"A newspaper is not just for reporting news,
it's to get people mad enough to do something about it."

--Mark Twain

#13 2011-05-11 08:42:34

myrlin

I am a great KDE3 fan, and the KMod3 project was one of my primary reasons for switching from SuSE to Arch. I too am waiting for the 3.5.13 version.

I must, however, disagree with your statement that:

There is currently a 3.5.12 version available  for Arch and the info about that is in the link above.  That version is the same version  I am using on Trinity's Ubuntu release.  It works as well as the original KDE 3.5.10 did

I used the version of  3.5.10 re-packaged by Elvaka, and it has worked faultlessly. However, the upgraded version has far more minor irritating bugs. I was lucky enough to discover this before updating on both of my machines, and I have "locked" my laptop to 3.5.10. I am also considering reverting to it on my main desktop machine until 3.5.13 appears, if I can find Elvaka's 3.5.10 packages again!

#14 2011-05-11 16:51:37

kwd

Hi myrlin

I am glad to hear that the 3.5.10 version works better.  When I was searching for ANY KDE3 version using a current version of the kernel I did not know abut Archlinux.  I learned about Arch from the Trinity site and at that time no one on the site had mentioned the Arch 3.5.10 version.  They had not finished the 3.5.12 version for Arch at that time so I went with the Ubuntu version.

Ubuntu has some not so minor and VERY irritating bugs and yes 3.5.12 has a lot of minor ones but overall I found the "new" 3.5.12 bugs  far less irritating than not having KDE3 and being forced to use KDE4. <grin>  KDE 3.5.10 also had a lot of minor bugs but over the years I had gotten used to dealing with them.  Very few of the new bugs affected the type of work I do so it wasn't a big problem for me.

In my case it is not just a dislike of KDE4, the main KDE tool I use is Kate and it is BROKEN in KDE4 and using Konqueror has been slowed to a crawl.  I edit a lot of large files and do a lot of regex replacement using Kate.  Regex in Kate for KDE4 can not even search for blank lines, you can't insert newlines, etc....  So I was not only slowed down but screwed in using regex.

I have two computers that all the parts are interchangeable.  I did this because of 2 reasons.  First one is that fixing software is difficult if you don't have Internet access so having two computers lets me use the other one to fix the broken one. Second one is because I live in Panama and most replacement parts are only available for technology that is several years old.  That means it takes weeks and $ to get replacement parts.  Having matching computers lets me "test" what is broken by swapping parts out and usually lets me always have a working computer.  Wish that worked for OSs.

Anyway the reason I mentioned this is that this week I am going to install Arch on my backup computer and learn how to set it up and use it.  I don't want to install anything that might make it harder to install KDE 3.5.13 when it is available so can you suggest a window manager that would be the easiest to replace with KDE when the time comes?

Also if you find Elvaka's 3.5.10 package again would you post the link?

TIA

Keith

--Mark Twain

#15 2011-05-11 21:59:59

1LordAnubis
Website

kdemod3 was the best ever DE software IMO; i prefer openbox now though, myself tongue

that being said... i think there are buildscripts for kdemod3... or at least there were... i haven't kept up w/ the chakra project since they split from arch

btw, backtrack linux 4 is a quick way to get a nice kde3.5 on usb stick

Last edited by 1LordAnubis (2011-05-11 22:00:50)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#16 2011-05-11 22:10:53

myrlin

Hi Keith,

Elvaka has done some terrific work to keep KDE3 alive. He originally re-packaged the Chakra project's version of 3.5.10, and it has worked pretty faultlessly for me. You could try sending him a PM to see if these packages are still available, but he upgraded his repos to Trinity's  3.5.12 some time ago. Don't get me wrong, this still works well, and the bugs I have found are fairly trivial; just minor annoyances. I have listed some of them here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=97612&p=5. I don't think you would have any problems just installing 3.5.12 from Elvaka and using it until 3.5.13 appears. It works for me.

As far as hardware spares are concerned, I have always found that UK and European suppliers seem to be more comfortable with international shipping, but YMMV!

#17 2011-05-12 06:26:24

kwd

1LordAnubis

Thanks I will check all that out.

--------------------------------------

Myrlin

OK after I install and play with Arch for a bit I will try that.  The people working on 3.5.13 are having fits converting to Cmake.  Once they solve that problem things will probably happen pretty fast.

Shipping isn't really the problem.  I live 8 hours from Panama City and if I don't use a local broker that is where I have to go to get things out of customs.  That cost about $40 + and is really a lot of work so I use a local broker with a USA transshipment  address for USA shipments.  That cost about the same and saves me a day of being on the road with a bunch of crazy Latin drivers and I don't have to argue with customs agents in my poor Spanish. <grin>

--Mark Twain

#18 2011-05-12 09:40:14

myrlin

You should try dealing with the Royal Mail in the UK!!!!!!

Seriously though, good luck with Arch. I converted from OpenSuSE for various reasons (not least their move to KDE4) about 6 months ago, and it went pretty much without a hitch. I would never go back. My advice would be to carefully follow the Beginner's Guide in the Arch Wiki step-by-step, and you'll be up and running in no time.

#19 2011-05-12 16:34:04

kwd

Thanks,  I plan on reading the instruction manual.... <grin>  It took more than 60 years but I finally learned my lesson. 

I have a lot of Linux experience (10 years of 8 hours a day) managing multiple websites (Drupal) and servers (Suse) but never messed much with setting up GUIs.  I started out with Suse 8 with KDE3 then when I retired I switched to Kubuntu 8.04 about 3 years ago.  I was just about to switch to BSD until I discovered Arch.

What I really wish, is that I could compile the KDE3 apps; Kate, Konqueror and Konsole and NOT have the rest of the KDE window management system on my computer, but I am a script writer not a programmer.  Most other things I do, like burning DVD/CDs, filename management, searching through files for text keywords, etc,, I wrote bash scripts for, because the KDE apps that did those things were either too slow or a little flaky. Example: My DVD burning script is about 4 times faster than K3B and hasn't screwed up since I wrote it--unlike K3B.

What I do now to keep myself entertained is to repair text files that were originally OCR'd in the 80s and 90s. This involves fixing the text layout so that they are readable and require minimal editing for people and business that now need/want them in usable condition.  I do a lot of converting of computer generated HTML files into to a minimal HTML standardized format as well, so that it is easier for people to edit and rework them for in house use. I also do a lot of conversion of plain text files to simple HTML format using a simple text markup system I created to do the special formatting (headers, pre blocks, etc.) in the cases where it can not be automatically done by the conversion--usually from the above mentioned OCR'd files.  All this is done with bash scripts using sed, grep and other CLI programs.

I like using GUIs as a base to move around in the computer--BUT--don't like spending half my time fixing them or trying to make them do what I need.  My real problem with GUIs is that I "KNOW" what I need and "HOW" I want to do it and the one thing I don't need is someone forcing me to accept what they "THINK" I need and "HOW" they think I need to do it--which Ubuntu is getting really bad about doing.

Getting old makes you really cranky about things like that... <grin>

--Mark Twain

Board footer