You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-13 11:37:32

fengya

[solved]how can I edit the gnome 3 menu

when I use gnome 2, there is an application called menu-editor,but I can't find it in gnome 3 ?
or which package should I install ?

Last edited by fengya (2011-05-13 13:57:06)

#2 2011-05-13 11:50:00

gnomeye

Re: [solved]how can I edit the gnome 3 menu

I think it's the prog alacarte ... but don't know if in gnome3 it's still called like that...

EDIT:

Looking at this post it could be a problem trying to run alacarte on gnome 3...

Could you try using:

gmenu-simple-editor

still - to change the items you should edit the .desktop files under /usr/share/applications/

Last edited by gnomeye (2011-05-13 11:59:06)

#3 2011-05-13 13:55:18

fengya

gnomeye wrote:

I think it's the prog alacarte ... but don't know if in gnome3 it's still called like that...

EDIT:

Could you try using:

gmenu-simple-editor

still - to change the items you should edit the .desktop files under /usr/share/applications/

thanks, I think you have solved my problem

#4 2011-05-13 13:55:24

fengya

gnomeye wrote:

EDIT:

Could you try using:

gmenu-simple-editor

thanks, I think you have solved my problem

#5 2011-05-13 21:06:45

Padfoot

Just remember, any changes to the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications will be undone when the apps in question are updated/upgraded.

You are better off making a copy of the .desktop files you want to change. Copy the file(s) to ~/.local/share/applications

You can also make changes to the menu categories by copying any .directory files from /usr/share/desktop-directories to ~/.local/share/desktop-directories and modifying there

And lastly, the actual menu layout itself by copying /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to /~.config/menus and modifying there.

Last edited by Padfoot (2011-05-13 21:07:25)

#6 2011-05-14 03:15:01

fengya

Padfoot wrote:

Just remember, any changes to the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications will be undone when the apps in question are updated/upgraded.

You are better off making a copy of the .desktop files you want to change. Copy the file(s) to ~/.local/share/applications

You can also make changes to the menu categories by copying any .directory files from /usr/share/desktop-directories to ~/.local/share/desktop-directories and modifying there

And lastly, the actual menu layout itself by copying /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to /~.config/menus and modifying there.

thanks

#7 2011-05-14 03:15:07

fengya

Padfoot wrote:

thanks

Board footer