You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-28 17:57:08

Who'sThere?

Removing networking?

Hello.

I'm currently using an USB 3G modem exclusively. That's the thing. Every time I booted up Arch, I noticed that it would hang on the "Starting networking" section each time.

So, I eventually ended up disabling it i the daemons section of the "rc.conf" file.

My overall question is, what networking/internet/modem configurations packages can I do away with all together? Remember I'll never be using ethernet, or dial-up modem, configurations.

I have a feeling that I'm unnecessarily running stuff in the background I don't need, and that maybe the quality of my internet connectivity might improve if I remove unnecessary components.

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

#2 2011-05-28 18:10:32

karol
Archivist

Re: Removing networking?

Which daemon did you disable - 'network'?
What networking/internet/modem configurations packages do you have installed?

Last edited by karol (2011-05-28 18:14:29)

#3 2011-05-28 18:59:51

Who'sThere?

Re: Removing networking?

Yes, I changed it to "!network".

All I had to install/update was the packages of wvdial, ppp, and their direct dependencies.

Another thing I noticed is an annoying "Network" icon in the left pane in Thunar. Can it be removed?

I actually "!" disabled the network, and netfs, daemons without any apparent issues. But... when I went to uninstall them via pacman, ie - "pacman -Rnss network netfs", I receive a message "target not found".

Also, I seem to be getting subpar connection speed. In Windows Vista, or Debian, I got a throughput of about 50-100kbps. Even with everything configured properly in Arch, I'm getting speeds of about 10-20kbps.

It seemingly speeds ups, and slows down, constantly for some reason. Like my internet connection speed is surging...

Last edited by Who'sThere? (2011-05-29 04:17:48)

Arch Linux: x86_64, Default Kernel.
Repos: Core, Extra, Community, Multilib.

Board footer