You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-05 06:55:05

senorsmile

[SOLVED] kvm with libvirtd & virt-manager not working: Error starting

I just installed a new system and had KVM virtualization working just fine with libvirtd and virt-manager.  I created two virtual machines and installed OS's (ubuntu server and ubuntu desktop). 

I was playing around with wicd.  I installed it as per the wiki page and rebooted.  Wicd worked fine but suddenly I get the following error when trying to start either virtual machine:

Error starting domain: internal error Process exited while reading console log output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/0
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
failed to initialize KVM: Operation not permitted

I searched and searched and searched and can't find any conclusive reasons why this would be.  I uninstalled everything related to wicd and switched back to the network daemon.  Network connectivity works fine, but I get the exact same error with virt-manager.

Last edited by senorsmile (2011-06-05 16:21:33)

#2 2011-06-05 14:07:13

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] kvm with libvirtd & virt-manager not working: Error starting

Because /dev/kvm doesn't exist without the kvm module being probed. modprobe kvm and kvm-intel/amd.

#3 2011-06-05 15:14:22

senorsmile

Re: [SOLVED] kvm with libvirtd & virt-manager not working: Error starting

falconindy wrote:

Because /dev/kvm doesn't exist without the kvm module being probed. modprobe kvm and kvm-intel/amd.

Thank you!  I had erroneously added the modules to the DAEMONS section of /etc/rc.conf instead of MODULES.  I guess I hadn't needed to restart my server since first installing to have realized it.  Thanks!

Board footer