You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-03 18:54:12

sinojos

[Solved] Pacman Failing to do -Syu

Yesterday for no explicable reason, Pacman -Syu does not work. Installs work fine -S.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Log out put below. After entering the command it just sits there, does nothing, even after 5 mins, was thinking it may be the update server was overloaded and slow. Prior to yesterday updates were nearly instantaneous. I have reinstalled pacman, but same results. Once in awhile after 10 or so tries it will get the core files, then stop again, of course the lock file must be  removed after any attempts.

[2011-06-03 11:29] Running 'pacman -Syu'
[2011-06-03 11:29] synchronizing package lists

SinOjos

Last edited by sinojos (2011-06-05 08:05:38)

#2 2011-06-03 18:59:08

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] Pacman Failing to do -Syu

Can you run it with ' --debug'?

#3 2011-06-03 19:03:39

brisbin33
Website

pick a new mirror. -Syyu.

#4 2011-06-03 19:07:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

moved to newbie corner

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-06-03 19:43:26

sinojos

#

Last edited by sinojos (2011-06-04 16:22:19)

#6 2011-06-03 20:05:08

karol
Archivist

IMHO Arch is run from the devs' perspective and users have ABS and AUR at their disposal if they want to have things their way. Seems fair to me.

#7 2011-06-03 21:06:14

sinojos

#

Last edited by sinojos (2011-06-04 16:22:03)

#8 2011-06-03 21:42:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

sinojos - we respect other distros, particularly other community-driven open source projects, here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

Please edit your post and remove those offensive and slanderous remarks.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2011-06-04 16:21:39

sinojos

I am not entirely impressed with Arch Linux as your package management system is not working as advertised. I have attempted to fix the problem via numerous solutions from numerous sources. Still the problem persists, running pacman -Syu --debug only fixes it once. Then it has to be run again the next day to do a -Syu. Since nothing seems to stop this behavior, that tells me that the Arch Linux package management system is not all that great at determining package dependencies since it pulls in new packages each day and  packages that were pulled in the day before.

Looks like I am going to have to do a clean install, a real shame after days of configuring, why it started a week after perfect operation is unknown. This is one of the types of problems I am attempting to get away from with Gentoo. If the same behavior persists, Arch Linux is not for me. After ten years of being a beta tester, I have had it with beta testing. The core files, and most importantly the package management system should be debugged as best as possible prior to release. Errors will always be encountered, though action should be taken to minimize the instances as much as possible. Not a good start with me.

Last edited by sinojos (2011-06-05 02:01:03)

#10 2011-06-04 19:51:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

sinojos wrote:

If you would like to get into a legal debate...

No. These boards are for support and discussions around Arch Linux. Please stick to that topic.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2011-06-04 19:55:57

Maki
Website

offtopic: why are you behaving like trolling microsoft consumer support ??
ontopic: i had a similar problem with pacman stuck at

:: Synchronizing package databases...

try switching mirrors

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#12 2011-06-04 20:53:12

Tux the penguin

try using reflector to get the fastest and most up to date mirrors, to your area. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector
also try pacman -Syyu instead, as brisbin33 said.

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#13 2011-06-04 21:43:17

Barrucadu
Website

sinojos wrote:

Errors will always be encountered, though action should be taken to minimize the instances as much as possible. Not a good start with me.

Action has been taken. Pacman works perfectly for a majority of users (or there would be a lot more "pacman is broken" threads).

#14 2011-06-05 00:51:22

sinojos

On subject:

I have tried switching mirrors as suggested in numerous places, that of course was the first thing I did before consulting anyone, as it seemed that the repository server was not being contacted. Unfortunately there is nothing in the log files, next to impossible to find the problem without errors to point to something.  I could compile the kernel for additional debugging purposes, not going to spend the time to find what is corrupted, a clean install can be faster, though I will have to re-install the packages I need, most of which I did from source because they are not in any repositories, some of my own making, some from other people, and others that are propriety. Going to give it a rest for now, will either reinstall or go to another flavor because it may be a case of corrupted file, difficult to find with no errors.

I am also considering Slackware and LFS. I am thinking that LFS may be the best, since I always end up fixing what some package maintainer made a mistake on, so I might as well spend my time and money for myself rather than others and get told to sexually assault my mother, not a very good trade off. I am simply looking for a new minimal flavor for my extensive home network and some backup and monitoring servers in my home office. Since I have a business to run, spending hours each day or week fixing what should have not happened in the first place, is not an option. I started out with LFS in the mid 90's, played with Slack, used Suse for a bit in 1999 for business purposes, then Gentoo for the past 10 years for business and pleasure, first computer in 81. Since I need to run some programs that are self generated and or not available via any repository. I have the feeling LFS is going to be my final decision, since the fast easy route is usually not the best route and ends up taking more time in the long run, already spent hours on this error, could of done a LFS install and been running cleanly by now. Only hurdle with LFS is package managing, will have to see what is out their for LFS for which I can customize for my own needs, have not looked at LFS for many years.

I am not saying that there is something wrong with Arch Linux, just that it may not be the right choice for my needs. My problem may simply be a corrupted file that has nothing to do with Arch Linux in it self, though I do wonder because if it was a corrupted file from the initial install,
it should have presented itself right off the bat not a week later. Which leads to how did a file get corrupted, or how did it get mis-configured if I did not do it myself, I find nothing wrong with the disk, no bad blocks or any other application affected. Usually a number of applications will start to get affected if the disk starts going bad and starts corrupting files. If other Arch Linux users are not having the same problem, then it must be an isolated case. .

Thank you to those that replied.

LMAO Maki, I needed the laugh thanks.  My rant was/is reminiscent of the m$ anti Linux flooding on all forums, at least I kept it in the family kind of sort of. Do not get me started on m$, then you will see my real ugly side! wink

Last reply to my rant:

I apologize if I have offended anyone other than any Gentoo dev who is responsible for immoral actions and including the Gentoo Foundation members who practice, or  tolerate, or perhaps encourage such behavior.

Yes I know I have not been nice, they pushed me over the edge and I lost it, who would not after being told to sexually assault your mother by some nose wiper who is barely out of their diapers and has no clue, when all you tried to do is help. Any time away from my work costs me money, I am not going to pay to be treated that way any longer, that was the last straw.  I am getting crusty and mean in my old age, you should see what my feet are starting to look like, don't worry it will happen to you to!

OK thats all over with, subject closed.

If any Admins feel anything else I have posted is inappropriate, I will be happy to remove it. Everything I have posted has been of my own action, and does not reflect the opinion of any other person alive, dead or fictitious.

SinOjos

Last edited by sinojos (2011-06-05 02:03:51)

#15 2011-06-05 21:49:28

Maki
Website

sinojos wrote:

On subject:

I have tried switching mirrors as suggested in numerous places, that of course was the first thing I did before consulting anyone, as it seemed that the repository server was not being contacted. Unfortunately there is nothing in the log files, next to impossible to find the problem without errors to point to something.  I could compile the kernel for additional debugging purposes, not going to spend the time to find what is corrupted, a clean install can be faster, though I will have to re-install the packages I need, most of which I did from source because they are not in any repositories, some of my own making, some from other people, and others that are propriety. Going to give it a rest for now, will either reinstall or go to another flavor because it may be a case of corrupted file, difficult to find with no errors.

I am also considering Slackware and LFS. I am thinking that LFS may be the best, since I always end up fixing what some package maintainer made a mistake on, so I might as well spend my time and money for myself rather than others and get told to sexually assault my mother, not a very good trade off. I am simply looking for a new minimal flavor for my extensive home network and some backup and monitoring servers in my home office. Since I have a business to run, spending hours each day or week fixing what should have not happened in the first place, is not an option. I started out with LFS in the mid 90's, played with Slack, used Suse for a bit in 1999 for business purposes, then Gentoo for the past 10 years for business and pleasure, first computer in 81. Since I need to run some programs that are self generated and or not available via any repository. I have the feeling LFS is going to be my final decision, since the fast easy route is usually not the best route and ends up taking more time in the long run, already spent hours on this error, could of done a LFS install and been running cleanly by now. Only hurdle with LFS is package managing, will have to see what is out their for LFS for which I can customize for my own needs, have not looked at LFS for many years.

I am not saying that there is something wrong with Arch Linux, just that it may not be the right choice for my needs. My problem may simply be a corrupted file that has nothing to do with Arch Linux in it self, though I do wonder because if it was a corrupted file from the initial install,
it should have presented itself right off the bat not a week later. Which leads to how did a file get corrupted, or how did it get mis-configured if I did not do it myself, I find nothing wrong with the disk, no bad blocks or any other application affected. Usually a number of applications will start to get affected if the disk starts going bad and starts corrupting files. If other Arch Linux users are not having the same problem, then it must be an isolated case. .

Thank you to those that replied.

LMAO Maki, I needed the laugh thanks.  My rant was/is reminiscent of the m$ anti Linux flooding on all forums, at least I kept it in the family kind of sort of. Do not get me started on m$, then you will see my real ugly side! wink

Last reply to my rant:

I apologize if I have offended anyone other than any Gentoo dev who is responsible for immoral actions and including the Gentoo Foundation members who practice, or  tolerate, or perhaps encourage such behavior.

Yes I know I have not been nice, they pushed me over the edge and I lost it, who would not after being told to sexually assault your mother by some nose wiper who is barely out of their diapers and has no clue, when all you tried to do is help. Any time away from my work costs me money, I am not going to pay to be treated that way any longer, that was the last straw.  I am getting crusty and mean in my old age, you should see what my feet are starting to look like, don't worry it will happen to you to!

OK thats all over with, subject closed.

If any Admins feel anything else I have posted is inappropriate, I will be happy to remove it. Everything I have posted has been of my own action, and does not reflect the opinion of any other person alive, dead or fictitious.

SinOjos

smile i guess you meant no harm but try to stay on the topic, switch to a local mirror and try to do -Syu, LFS is not really a good choice for anything except home/hobby use, and you can make packages for any sotware using makepkg.

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

Board footer