You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-10 03:26:43

oalicein

[SOLVED] Conky -- "own_window no" causes issues

I am using Xcompmgr-dana, PekWM, and Tint2.

When I set "own_window" in .conkyrc to "yes" everything works normally. The only down side to this is that because Conky has its own window, it has a dropshadow effect, as all my other windows do.

When I set "own_window" to "no" all hell breaks loose: my tint2 panel only emerges from autohide for a split second; my PekWM menu glitches out so I can only see it partially, and mousing over it causes it to behave strangely as well. Actually, even my terminal window becomes transparent and glitchy as long as Conky is running with "own_window no".

Any pointers?

Last edited by oalicein (2011-06-14 10:15:23)

#2 2011-06-10 03:32:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Conky -- "own_window no" causes issues

It would be mighty difficult to guess what's wrong. Provide us with your conky config and anything else that you might think is relevant.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-10 09:27:38

Larsson

I'm using conky with xcompmgr and have found that the following settings seem to work flawless:

own_window_class Conky
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#4 2011-06-10 22:49:12

oalicein

The line

own_window_class Conky

was missing from my conkyrc. With it, I have much better results. Thank you very much.

Edit: I spoke too soon--results were only good when running through terminal. When executing through my ~/.pekwm/start file, I still have a dropshadow effect, most likely because Conky is its own window, and my windows have a dropshadow.

I think any relevant part of my conkyrc has already been posted by Larsson. Mine matches his exactly.

Last edited by oalicein (2011-06-10 22:55:18)

#5 2011-06-11 09:29:40

Larsson

I forgot to test it with dropshadows, and my config didn't work. Comment out all the own_window settings and only use:

own_window yes
own_window_type desktop

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

#6 2011-06-14 10:15:02

oalicein

Larsson wrote:

I forgot to test it with dropshadows, and my config didn't work. Comment out all the own_window settings and only use:

own_window yes
own_window_type desktop

This is exactly what I did. I had to write the "own_window_type" line myself as it was not in my config file. This seems to have been the major issue. Until something else arises, thank you very much.

Board footer