You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 09:52:24

matse

[SOLVED] updated rc.conf - connection problems

Hi,
after I updated my system I received a warning when I shutdown my PC about a deprecated method of connecting to the network with the hint to update my rc.conf.
I use my network just to go online and I go online via openvpn. Further I use the classic "network" daemon to configure my ethernet devices.
My updated rc.conf looks like this (just an extract of the interesting parts):

HOSTNAME="myhost"
interface=eth1
address=
netmask=
gateway=

the old rc.conf was:

HOSTNAME="myhost"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth1)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

The "daemons" section looks in both the same:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus iptables @network @openvpn @crond @cups @cpufreq)

The problem with the new rc.conf is when I start KDE my plasmoids all show "no connection to the internet". Firefox, konqueror and pacman can all connect. And if I restart my plasmoids they can go online, too.
If I don't start network and openvpn in the background, my boot process takes longer, but then everything works fine.
But with the old configuration everything was fine, too and the bootup process was much faster.
Even if I start now my PC and wait a minute in my login manager KDM and then login my plasmoids can't connect at first.
Can anybody give me a hint, how to solve that problem?
matse

Last edited by matse (2011-06-17 00:15:45)

#2 2011-06-09 10:45:17

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] updated rc.conf - connection problems

Do you have multiple network cards? If so, how do you specify eth1 - do you have a udev rule? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … es_varying

#3 2011-06-09 11:07:11

matse

Hi,
yes I have 2 network cards and I have just applied the udev rule as mentioned in your linked wiki article, but that did not solve my problem.
The strange thing is, that the old configuration worked fine for month and the new works, too, but not straight after logging into KDE.

#4 2011-06-09 12:41:30

matse

A small update, I have to revise my error report, I guess I was too impatient: If I wait longer in KDM (for about one minute) and log me then into KDE, everything works fine. So the fact is, that the "new" method is working, but my connectin establishes slower.
Any ideas how to improve this behaviour?
matse

Last edited by matse (2011-06-09 12:41:47)

#5 2011-06-09 12:46:05

karol
Archivist

matse wrote:

A small update, I have to revise my error report, I guess I was too impatient: If I wait longer in KDM (for about one minute) and log me then into KDE, everything works fine. So the fact is, that the "new" method is working, but my connectin establishes slower.
Any ideas how to improve this behaviour?
matse

That's what I thought.
I don't use KDM but if I log in (to the console) and do a ping I get errors, but after a couple seconds everything's fine.
I have no idea how to improve it, but it's much shorter than in your case.

#6 2011-06-17 00:15:30

matse

Update on this topic:
The problem is gone since several days, I did not change anything, so I guess it was an update. Everything works now (with the new rc.conf) as before,
matse

Board footer