You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-17 04:42:50

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Errors with xorg & openbox

Hi, I'm having an issue with openbox - freshly installed arch on a laptop with xorg. I've been through the installation process as I've done many a time before, and just got through installing the open equivalent of nvidia and installed the basic xorg environment (twm, xterm, xclock) and dbus. I copied .xinitrc from the skel directory to my user home directory and edited it to show

exec ck-launch-session openbox-session 

However at first it gave me errors and wouldn't start up upon initiating startx on the command line. The errors were to do with being unable to find nvidia modules - which there should have been none, because I went with nouveau instead, however after doing

Create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-nouveau.conf, and input the following contents:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "Nvidia card"
    Driver "nouveau"
EndSection
This ensure that nouveau driver is loaded.

It now got rid of those errors, so presumably I still needed to do that step, despite the note that said I wouldn't need to as of version 1.10.2-1. Now however I have a problem of an error:

exec: ck-launch-session: not found 

this is confusing as I've always used that line before, and according to the wiki it is required as I have dbus installed, which is specified to load in my daemons array and is running. I should note that if I use

$ xinit /usr/bin/openbox-session 

then openbox start up normally without a hitch, and it also works fine if I don't have the ck-launch-session part of the line present in my .xinitrc. Now obviously I can just leave it without "ck-launch-session" however in the past the importance of this line for such as dbus has been impressed upon me more than once, so I felt I should query it here. Does anyone know what's going on with this behaviour?

Thanks,
Ben9250.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2011-06-18 01:03:52)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2011-06-17 04:51:03

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Errors with xorg & openbox

Have you installed consolekit? That's why you are getting the error

Having said that, consolekit is NOT required. I certainly do not use it nor have it installed and everything works well for me. You just need to find out whether you require the functionality provided by consolekit and use it accordingly. I use alternative apps which provide the functionality that I require out of consolekit and I prefer to use those instead of consolekit.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-17 05:09:47

Ben9250
Website

Ahh I see. I plan on using thunar with openbox, because I've used thunar before, it does not seem to require it as a dep and I plan on logging in from the command line and starting graphical sessions with startx, no gdm or slim or anything like that.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#4 2011-06-17 13:58:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

consolekit also provides options to auto-mount drives etc -- however I use udisks and devmon for that purpose.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer