You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-16 17:20:05

CaptainKirk

Wipe Disk Clean

I need to return a defective hard disk to the store but it has NDA-protected data on it. It's a 1TG disk with about 300G data on it.

I was thinking to reinstall Arch and have it reformat the whole disk as one big partition and I think that's sufficient.

I see one could also use

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

shred -vfz -n 100 /dev/hda

but those may be overkill. shred looks like it would take a long time anyhow. Perhaps just run it

shred -vfz -n 1 /dev/hda

What is recommended? The data is not super-sensitive (at all) and I don't expect anyone to even have any reason to try to reconstruct it, but anyhow I must of course take reasonable measures to remove the data. I figured reformatting would be the easiest way. smile

Thanks.

#2 2011-06-16 17:32:15

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: Wipe Disk Clean

Reformat wont delete any data. Use dd to fill the whole drive with zeros. Afaik overwriting the drive several times and also using random data is an ancient myth and not needed. (But you'll find a lot information about this using a search engine)

#3 2011-06-16 17:53:00

ewaller
Administrator

Pierre wrote:

... Afaik overwriting the drive several times and also using random data is an ancient myth and not needed....

Unless of course it is a requirement imposed (contractual, declassification procedures, etc...) -- Whether or not it is technically valid.

Never-the-less, use the dd command to zero the drive; no one is going to go to the trouble to recover the NDA data after you do that.

As to the dd command:  Type the command, but don't hit Enter; sit back; cross your arms; read the command line; think about what you typed; read it again; think some more; then press Enter.
Really.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-06-16 18:07:25

CaptainKirk

ewaller wrote:

As to the dd command:  Type the command, but don't hit Enter; sit back; cross your arms; read the command line; think about what you typed; read it again; think some more; then press Enter.
Really.

Thanks. I already CloneZilla'sd the entire drive to a new one (which I am using now), so I'm quite ready to dd the old one. smile

Thanks for the feedback.

#5 2011-06-16 21:59:54

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

You can use only the dd command you posted, with modern disks just one pass is enough to make it close to impossible to recover any meaningful data.

You can also try the Security Erase or Enhanced Security Erase feature provided by the SMART capability of the drive, it will probably be faster than using dd and it will (or should) yield the same result.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#6 2011-06-17 07:58:48

stqn
Website

CaptainKirk wrote:

Thanks. I already CloneZilla'sd the entire drive to a new one (which I am using now), so I'm quite ready to dd the old one. smile

I think that what ewaller wanted to say, is that you should check that you didn't swap "if" and "of", and that you wrote the correct device names smile.

#7 2011-06-17 08:20:41

ChoK

This can help too http://www.dban.org/

From http://mmlab.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/eNewsASP/ … A2DC0DC4B/

To prevent leakage of sensitive or important data in the disposal of hard disk, instead of simply deleting files or formatting the hard disk, the better way is to use data wiping tools for data wiping. An open source software – DBAN is recommended for your consideration.

DBAN is a self-contained software which can securely wipe hard disks of most computers. The software will automatically and completely erase all the content that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk and emergency data destruction.  It supports various partition formats and data sanitization standards, including DOD 5220.22-M (the data sanitization standards set by the U.S. Department of Defense), Gutmann and PNRG Steam. Moreover, it is an approved product for sanitizing IT equipment of National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).

Please bear in mind that data cannot be recovered after wiping, but the hard disk can still be reused.

For details and DBAN download, visit the DBAN official website: www.dban.org.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#8 2011-06-17 08:24:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

#9 2011-06-17 14:57:25

ewaller
Administrator

stqn wrote:
CaptainKirk wrote:

I think that what ewaller wanted to say, is that you should check that you didn't swap "if" and "of", and that you wrote the correct device names smile.

That is precisely what I meant big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2011-06-18 19:06:28

CaptainKirk

Thanks for the advice, and the warnings. I actually physically disconnected the new drive before this operation, that's why I had no concerns.

Anyhow I did it, logged in to Arch. It was fun--I never saw an OS self destruct before. smile

But now it won't boot. Can you tell me how to fix this?

JUST KIDDING! wink

Thanks--I used the method in the wiki and it seems to have worked.

#11 2011-06-18 19:40:07

stqn
Website

Pf smile

Board footer