You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-15 03:07:31

Paaskehare
Website

[SOLVED] Graphics Issue

Hello, I have a weird problem with my setup, it started occuring randomly (I think while playing quakelive)
- and now all of my GUI applications are messed up.

Playing videos in mplayer is not affected by this, it seems to be some kind of bug in my GTK, but I honestly have no clue at all.

Here is an example:
lefua7

It's like that all around, some places even worse (like Xchat, the borders often changes colors from a greyish black to a solid white, and then back.

I tried switching GTK theme, but that doesn't work either.

I have no idea what so ever what caused this, and what would need to be done to fix it.

I hope you guys can help me out.

I just tried running amarok (which is KDE) - it has the same issue, maybe even worse, look for yourself:
http://metabox.it/slhcqr

Last edited by Paaskehare (2011-06-19 02:44:12)

im.ole

#2 2011-06-15 03:38:28

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Graphics Issue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-18 07:04:17

somearchuser

It may not be the same thing, but I had a similar looking issue with flashplugin and xorg.conf. The thread above also suggests that the artifacts can be coming from xorg.conf.

Any flash object I started in a browser tab would bleed random artifacts from below onto the tab or window in focus. A kind of borderless "always on top" for any flash object on any page presented itself through any other window I was using - in wacky arrangements of artifacts up to and including whole images(in any position under a translucent terminal). If the glitched out area is stationary, persistent, and only happens when you put something on top of a flash browser object, it may be the same issue. Your screenshots are sort of similar to what I was seeing.

Removing the modules "xtrap" and "record" from my xorg.conf have solved this for me. The modules commented out(or deleted) of /etc/X11/xorg.conf stopped the problem:

Section "Module"
#       Load  "xtrap"
#       Load  "GLcore"
#       Load  "record"
#       Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "ddc"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

Can you post your xorg.conf modules section if the glitchy pixels persist?

Last edited by somearchuser (2011-06-18 07:05:29)

#4 2011-06-18 10:36:47

Paaskehare
Website

They are persistent, regardless if I run a flash application or not, actually flash is working just fine tongue

This is the module part of my xorg.conf

Section "Module"
    Load           "record"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "dri2"
    Load           "extmod"
EndSection

im.ole

#5 2011-06-18 11:48:44

somearchuser

Well, anyone reading the previous "solution" to the flash artifact issue, please ignore the error. I believed the problem to be solved by disabling things in xorg.conf, but in fact it was disabling hardware acceleration from within flash that seems to have done the trick. If one finds it impossible to click that particular check button in the settings dialogue on a running flash object, going to fullscreen allowed the mouse to toggle the checkbox. Again the problem seems to be repaired for now. Thread here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=113368&p=2

On to the topic, if it is not "dri2", does adding this to xorg.conf bring any joy?

Section "Extensions"
         Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Last edited by somearchuser (2011-06-18 12:01:23)

#6 2011-06-19 02:43:17

Paaskehare
Website

Hello again, thanks for the help. I have found out that the fan on my GFX was broken (couldn't see it, card is upside down on my motherboard). I attached a new one today, but the damage was done, It started flickering even during boot. I am currently running on the OnBoard GFX on my computer tongue

I just still can't figure out why I was able to capture screenshots of it.

But again, thanks for the help. and also "Solved"

Last edited by Paaskehare (2011-06-19 02:43:32)

im.ole

Board footer