You are not logged in.

#26 2011-06-19 05:33:57

pottzie

Re: [solved] xorg crashes at startx

As an update, and since this isn't going anywhere, I decided to try another startx and see if the log showed anything different.
http://pastebin.com/CLXcMGjK
All Greek to me. As for the mirrors issue, I uncommented everything for America. I'll try re-editing and just using the most up to date mirror.

Whoops! When I used nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist -it shows an empty file! I had problems after I tried using reflector to get faster mirrors, and had to copy the old mirror list back. I know it's there, I had problems in this thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=121091
But got them straightened out and working. Don't know what's making that happen.

Just went back and tried cd'ing into /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist one directory at a time to see what happens. /etc was no problem (thank God!) , but when I tried to cd into the next lower directory, /pacman.d doesn't exist, according to what bash returns. I'm doing this via a live cd that I've used to mount Arch, so I'll try rebooting into Arch, but I don't expect any changes.

Last edited by pottzie (2011-06-19 05:43:33)

#27 2011-06-19 08:24:58

Varg

Since you have a fresh install and not a full running system I think that it actually might be easier to just reinstall Arch. Especially when your /etc/pacman.d directory is missing. It can actually be more time saving then finding and fixing every little error. Follow the beginners guide step by step and don't fiddle around to much when your system isn't up and running yet.
1 - Install
2 - Update ( most recent kernel is 2.6.39 )
3 - Install graphics driver and X
When you follow the wiki step by step and think about what you are doing it should work fine.

#28 2011-06-20 02:44:58

pottzie

I think hokasch hit the nail on the head with the mirrors issue. After rebooting I was able to edit my mirrors list, and wallah, suddenly I have a bazillion files to update.  I'm tempted to mark this solved, but I'll hold off until I see what happens. I have some "mopping up" to deal with after the files finished downloading, but I'm using another thread for that. Hopefully, it will be a simple fix.
Thanks hokasch

This after resolving the upgrade issues. After typing "startx" I'm looking at the Xorg window manager. The mouse and keyboard are both dead, but the mouse has it's led light on, indicating that it's getting power or signal. When I ran startx earlier, the mouse led was dark.  No lights over num lock or caps lock on the keyboard.  It's a giant step forward though.

I hadn't seen that this thread had gone to the next page, and didn't see Varg's suggestion. I was wondering about re-installing too!  Glad that the mirror list was resolved so I could see how things worked.

Along with the keyboard and mouse not working, Ctrl/Alt #F1 doesn't bring up a terminal.  And the spacebar doesn't wake the screen either, since the keyboard doesn't speak X yet.

Last edited by pottzie (2011-06-20 03:51:04)

#29 2011-06-20 07:07:07

Varg

Good news that pacman works !

What do you mean with Xorg window manager ? Xorg is a basic layer for the graphical environment and you need a window manager on top of it. Standalone x can display windows but not manage them, no resize, moving around,...

Did  you do everything that is stated in the wiki ? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau
Configuring al files and adding the module ?

Maybe you can find some more answers regarding keyboard an mouse over here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

#30 2011-06-20 15:22:22

pottzie

I'm reading the wiki's and going back over what Varg has said. The window manager I have is the xterm window. I have three terminals, no clock since for some reason the clock option wouldn't download. mouse and keyboard are unresponsive. I'm using a live cd so I can get xorg logfile
http://pastebin.com/vJhD29pm
It's quite long. From what I read in the Kernel Mode I see:
#
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
#
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
#
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
#
        compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 1.0.0
#
        ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
#
(II) Loading sub module "exa"
#
(II) LoadModule: "exa"
#
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libexa.so
#
(II) Module exa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
#
        compiled for 1.7.6, module version = 2.5.0
#
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
#
(II) Loading sub module "shadowfb"
#
(II) LoadModule: "shadowfb"
#
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadowfb.so
#
(II) Module shadowfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"

So I see framebuffer info but no line "fb0: nouveaufb frame buffer device"  Also I don't know how to copy code as "code" here at Arch linux! I'm used to using a hash symbol, and don't see one anywhere. Sorry for making this take up more space.
I re-read what you said about making .xinitrc in my home directory and putting exec xterm. I hadn't done that before, and since xterm starts, it may not be necessary, but I have that now. Also just blacklisted nvidia. That may be the problem, as the file was empty. I'll try it now.

I've installed grub, so I expect it to show up when startx is run.

After rebooting: SUCCESS!!!....well, I only have the xterm window with three terminals.  BUT THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD WORK.
  Sorry for shouting.

Last edited by pottzie (2011-06-20 15:29:25)

#31 2011-06-20 16:01:08

Varg

Great, that means X is working and you can try Gnome.  I didn't try out Gnome 3 yet so you should check the wiki on what you need to do.
Posting with code tags in the forum: [ code ] tekst [/ code ] ( without the spaces obviously )

#32 2011-06-20 16:05:51

pottzie

Thanks. When I crashed Arch a few days ago the fix was to remove gdm from the daemons list. I'm going to check the wiki and see if there's a command line way to start gnome before I add gdm back. That may be all that's keeping gnome from starting.

#33 2011-06-20 18:19:41

pottzie

Added the gdm daemon to /etc/rc.conf and gnome started after reboot.  Looks good from here.

Now to figure out how gnome3 works!    Thanks.

#34 2011-06-20 18:49:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

pottzie wrote:

Thanks. When I crashed Arch a few days ago the fix was to remove gdm from the daemons list. I'm going to check the wiki and see if there's a command line way to start gnome before I add gdm back. That may be all that's keeping gnome from starting.

Yes do research if there is a way to start gnome without gdm (Hint: Not is, are !)

search terms to help you get started: inittab, startx, .xinitrc, runlevels

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer