You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-21 22:21:57

Anomareh
Website

DotShare.it - Dot sharing for the masses.

I've just recently launched a new project of mine, http://dotshare.it/, which attempts to be a central location for all of the "Post your _some app_ configs!" and "Post your _some app_ setups!" threads on various distro's forums. Our intent is to make sharing and finding the dots you're interested in easier. We really want to create a thriving community around dot files.

From this thread we're hoping to get feedback on how the site could be improved. Fell free to post any issues you run into or any ideas you have.

A quick note on categories, which I'm sure is likely to come up, we will be adding new ones based on user requests.

To let us know what you think, aside from this thread, feel free to join us in IRC (#dotshare on freenode). If Twitter is your thing, you can follow us (@DotShare) there as well for updates and give us your feedback and category requests.

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-07-14 21:48:48)

#2 2011-06-21 23:07:18

Guff
Website

Re: DotShare.it - Dot sharing for the masses.

Neat.

Have you considered allowing files to be grouped? For example, my Awesome config is comprised of several different files that are sourced by rc.lua. Not a big deal, as I think for most things configs are single files, but there are at least a few things that can/do make use of multiple files.

#3 2011-06-21 23:16:21

xs

This is a brilliant idea, I think a lot of people will find it useful to be honest. Gonna keep checking it periodically.

Few sugestions:
1. I like the simple layout
2. you could make things span a bit more though along the edges.
3. get a pro looking banner done. smile

Last edited by xs (2011-06-21 23:17:54)

I like pie. Especially with a side of Arch.

#4 2011-06-21 23:16:25

Anomareh
Website

Guff wrote:

Neat.

Have you considered allowing files to be grouped? For example, my Awesome config is comprised of several different files that are sourced by rc.lua. Not a big deal, as I think for most things configs are single files, but there are at least a few things that can/do make use of multiple files.

Aye, it was brought up a few times in testing. Multiple file support will probably come at some point down the road.

xs wrote:

This is a brilliant idea, I think a lot of people will find it useful to be honest. Gonna keep checking it periodically. smile

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-06-21 23:17:10)

#5 2011-06-22 00:06:02

lchr
Website

Great idea! And awesome site and layout (but make the site itself themeable! [did I just blow your mind?])

I may be overlooking something, but I can't seem to find a link directly to the individual files. I can follow the "raw" link and save it from there, but maybe you could provide a link straight to the raw file using its original file name? No biggie, though, and as I said, it's entirely possible I overlooked something and/or am retarded.

#6 2011-06-22 04:45:35

teh
Website

The idea = 4/5
The site design = 6/5

You should add scrotwm in the "wms" section.

arst

#7 2011-06-22 07:17:26

k3ttc4r
Website

lchr wrote:

Great idea! And awesome site and layout (but make the site itself themeable! [did I just blow your mind?])

No, you didn't. That suggestion already came up big_smile

lchr wrote:

I may be overlooking something, but I can't seem to find a link directly to the individual files. I can follow the "raw" link and save it from there, but maybe you could provide a link straight to the raw file using its original file name? No biggie, though, and as I said, it's entirely possible I overlooked something and/or am retarded.

You mean like - a link straight to the raw file from the listing? Shouldn't be a problem, I think.

arch64   ||   github | dotshare | blog

#8 2011-06-22 07:30:22

lchr
Website

k3ttc4r wrote:

You mean like - a link straight to the raw file from the listing? Shouldn't be a problem, I think.

Well, that is an even better idea!

But I actually meant a link to the raw FILE from anywhere. Right now the "raw" link links to a directory, which means right-click > save prompts me for a filename, rather than supplying one itself. More than anything it is probably a matter of my being accustomed to being spoon-fed a file name. Perhaps this marks the beginning of a new era for me, in which I choose file names myself. Perhaps it is better this way. I will mull this over.

Also, while this doesn't apply to me, text-ninja that I am, doesn't the lack of a filename cause trouble for drag-and-droppers? Won't someone think of the drag-and-droppers?! THEY ARE INNOCENT

#9 2011-06-22 09:25:24

hellnest
Website

Wow i love your website design! 11/10

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#10 2011-06-22 15:29:40

Anomareh
Website

lchr wrote:

But I actually meant a link to the raw FILE from anywhere. Right now the "raw" link links to a directory, which means right-click > save prompts me for a filename, rather than supplying one itself. More than anything it is probably a matter of my being accustomed to being spoon-fed a file name. Perhaps this marks the beginning of a new era for me, in which I choose file names myself. Perhaps it is better this way. I will mull this over.

I'll whip something up. I was personally just cURL'ing the raw link (e.g.: curl http://dotshare.it/dots/10/raw/ > ~/tmp/.Xresources).

Thanks everyone for the comments :]

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-06-22 15:31:19)

#11 2011-06-22 15:43:01

Army

Indeed, this design is awesome!

#12 2011-06-22 16:05:42

ANOKNUSA

Sweet.  I'm a recent Awesome convert, and as this grows in time it'll be much better than punching "github awesome configs" into Google or some such.  Good luck with the project.

#13 2011-06-22 16:50:13

madeye
Website

I like that! One place to find config files is really cool. Now I'll just have to find my configs and get them uploaded smile

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#14 2011-06-22 18:09:42

lolilolicon

I remember from a long time ago dotfiles.org, but your site looks much cooler.

A few suggestions:

1. Make the head line (bright one) and the URL consistent. e.g., the following isn't consistent:
       http://dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/
       guest@dotshare [~/groups/chat/irssi] $ ls
   Maybe just s/category/groups/ ?

2. Make each "level" of the URL valid.
   e.g., http://dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/ is OK, but currently http://dotshare.it/category/chat/ is 404, while a list of items in the "chat" group is expected.

3. Make the head line (bright one) clickable on each level: foo@dotshare [~/groups/chat/irssi. This is faster since the left sidebar is probably going to grow very tall.

4. This is an exciting idea to me: I'm thinking of a "theme" concept, where a theme is a set (combination/remix/etc.) of config files that work neatly together. For example, terminal colors, vim colors and dwm/awesome colors usually need to cooperate. A user should be able to download a theme as a tarball.
   Such themes can be composed through a simple "user collection" or/and by some more social scheme, e.g., voting on the compatibility of two config files.

Last edited by lolilolicon (2011-06-22 18:13:46)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#15 2011-06-22 18:26:42

lchr
Website

Anomareh wrote:

I'll whip something up. I was personally just cURL'ing the raw link (e.g.: curl http://dotshare.it/dots/10/raw/ > ~/tmp/.Xresources).

Ahh, I understand. It is in any case not a problem, just a convenience issue.

Got the site in my bookmarks bar, and I'm very excited about it smile

#16 2011-06-22 20:48:54

Anomareh
Website

lchr wrote:

Ahh, I understand. It is in any case not a problem, just a convenience issue.Got the site in my bookmarks bar, and I'm very excited about it smile

There is now a download link for dots (next to the raw link). Also you can now supply a filename for dots (optional). If it isn't supplied a category appropriate default is used.

lolilolicon wrote:

1. Make the head line (bright one) and the URL consistent. e.g., the following isn't consistent:
       http://dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/
       guest@dotshare [~/groups/chat/irssi] $ ls
   Maybe just s/category/groups/ ?

2. Make each "level" of the URL valid.
   e.g., http://dotshare.it/category/chat/irssi/ is OK, but currently http://dotshare.it/category/chat/ is 404, while a list of items in the "chat" group is expected.

Hrm, I'll see what I can come up with for these. Currently when viewing by category a slug is necessary (e.g. category) as there is no restriction on category names. Another slug is also necessary because categories can have the same name as long as they are in different groups (e.g. terms/colors and vim/colors).

lolilolicon wrote:

3. Make the head line (bright one) clickable on each level: foo@dotshare [~/groups/chat/irssi. This is faster since the left sidebar is probably going to grow very tall.

Well right now this really wouldn't do much as you can't browse by group. So there's nothing to link groups or chat to. The current category is already linked to when viewing a dot in it's header.

lolilolicon wrote:

4. This is an exciting idea to me: I'm thinking of a "theme" concept, where a theme is a set (combination/remix/etc.) of config files that work neatly together. For example, terminal colors, vim colors and dwm/awesome colors usually need to cooperate. A user should be able to download a theme as a tarball.
   Such themes can be composed through a simple "user collection" or/and by some more social scheme, e.g., voting on the compatibility of two config files.

Absolutely LOVE this idea! Definitely added to the roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words :]

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-06-23 04:50:56)

#17 2011-06-22 22:22:22

spo11
Website

Wow, this is great. smile

I love the design. How one is able to preview the file is awesome. It's like I'm viewing it in vim. Gorgeous.

#18 2011-06-23 04:40:46

lolilolicon

Anomareh wrote:

Well right now this really wouldn't do much as you can't browse by group. So there's nothing to link groups or chat to. The current category is already linked to when viewing a dot in it's header.

Well suggestion 3 depends on suggestion 2 smile
Simply put, I like making the URL behave like a directory structure. As such, the displayed command line prompt should reflect the URL strictly.
Making every level valid is a valid idea because every level has an expected meaning...

Anomareh wrote:
lchr wrote:

4. This is an exciting idea to me: I'm thinking of a "theme" concept, where ... ... ...

Absolutely LOVE this idea! Definitely added to the roadmap.

Thanks for the feedback.

I knew you'd love it tongue
But I don't think lchr likes to be misquoted wink

Edit:
Adding to the theme idea: The style/settings of dotshare.it itself is a config file too, so make it configurable (as mentioned by lchr in post #5), and also include/associate it into/with a theme. This is useful not only because it makes the site fit nicely into the user's UI, but also because it makes the preview of the theme (as a whole, another idea you may want to consider) work better in a more compatible environment.
Just my 2¢.

Last edited by lolilolicon (2011-06-23 04:59:52)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#19 2011-06-23 04:55:52

Anomareh
Website

lolilolicon wrote:

Simply put, I like making the URL behave like a directory structure. As such, the displayed command line prompt should reflect the URL strictly.
Making every level valid is a valid idea because every level has an expected meaning...

Aye, I definitely think some consistency is warranted, but every level of a URL being valid really isn't. Many, many sites today use slugs that are not valid when browsed to on their own. For the most part they're just there to make it easier to understand what a link points to.

lolilolicon wrote:

I knew you'd love it tongue
But I don't think lchr likes to be misquoted wink

oops :s

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-06-23 04:56:18)

#20 2011-06-23 05:38:08

milomouse
Website

Gorgeous.  Putting what I have in applicable+available categories--will look forward to more (personally use StumpWM [wm]).  Bookmarking.

Only real complaint is that the screenshot popups have quite large buttons for prev/next that obscure smaller images.  Perhaps have them hidden until user hovers mouse, make them smaller or have them in titlebar of popup?  Just my humble opinion, anyway.

#21 2011-06-23 06:37:46

Anomareh
Website

milomouse wrote:

Gorgeous.  Putting what I have in applicable+available categories--will look forward to more (personally use StumpWM [wm]).  Bookmarking.

I've just added stumpwm. We've gotten quite a few requests for it now.

milomouse wrote:

Only real complaint is that the screenshot popups have quite large buttons for prev/next that obscure smaller images.  Perhaps have them hidden until user hovers mouse, make them smaller or have them in titlebar of popup?  Just my humble opinion, anyway.

This came up in testing as well. I've moved the lightbox controls outside of the content area. The reason I want them always visible is I want it to be blatantly apparent that the lightbox is a gallery, as I think it's a pretty key (and cool) feature to be able to browse all the scrots of the dots that have them on the current page.

Thanks for the feeback :]

Last edited by Anomareh (2011-06-23 06:42:09)

#22 2011-06-23 08:36:55

ein

Pretty awesome. But where is Emacs?

#23 2011-06-23 12:31:38

milomouse
Website

Anomareh wrote:
milomouse wrote:

I've just added stumpwm. We've gotten quite a few requests for it now.

milomouse wrote:

This came up in testing as well. I've moved the lightbox controls outside of the content area. The reason I want them always visible is I want it to be blatantly apparent that the lightbox is a gallery, as I think it's a pretty key (and cool) feature to be able to browse all the scrots of the dots that have them on the current page.

Thanks for the feeback :]

Looks really good to me, and thanks for adding StumpWM. smile

#24 2011-06-24 16:20:56

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

looks great.
more features for collaboration (like gists on github) would we welcome, but when trying to support that, you quickly run into the fact that different people organize their files differently.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#25 2011-06-24 17:56:53

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Can you add i3 ?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer