You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-21 17:15:52

sepuku

How to add keyboard layout and define shortcut to switch layouts

Hello there people of Arch! smile
How can i add greek layout to my laptop and how can i set "alt+shift" as the shortcut to switch between layouts?
I tried to search but i couldn't find something useful!

#2 2011-06-21 17:17:49

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: How to add keyboard layout and define shortcut to switch layouts

write a script which calls setxkbmap to whatever locale you want. Save it. Make it executable.

Then use xbindkeys to call that script on a keystroke.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-21 17:20:42

sepuku

Inxsible wrote:

write a script which calls setxkbmap to whatever locale you want. Save it. Make it executable.

Then use xbindkeys to call that script on a keystroke.

Hello and thanks for your quick reply!Is there a guide on the forum on how to do all this stuff?

Last edited by sepuku (2011-06-21 17:20:58)

#4 2011-06-21 17:24:47

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

What I gave you there was the guide itself.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2011-06-21 17:34:20

sepuku

Inxsible wrote:

What you gave me there is something generic not a guide(telling do "this" and "that" without telling how "this" and "that" is actually done is not a guide).Since i ask you how i'm supposed to do something am asking for specific info.

I'm using gnome.Is there a way to do it using the graphical environment?I don't have time this days to learn writing scripts cause i really need the greek layout for my studies and there's little time.

Thank you again for your reply!

#6 2011-06-21 17:49:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

sepuku wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

What you gave me there is something generic not a guide(telling do "this" and "that" without telling how "this" and "that" is actually done is not a guide).Since i ask you how i'm supposed to do something am asking for specific info.

I'm using gnome.Is there a way to do it using the graphical environment?I don't have time this days to learn writing scripts cause i really need the greek layout for my studies and there's little time.

Aah !!

Why didn't you say you wanted everything handed out to you on a platter !!!

As an Arch user you are supposed to do your own research first and show some effort. And if you don't have time to do something for your own self, well,  I value mine too !!

Forum Rules

#7 2011-06-21 17:57:07

sepuku

Inxsible wrote:
sepuku wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Aah !!

Why didn't you say you wanted everything handed out to you on a platter !!!

Aaaah why didn't you say you are full of complexes?Thank you for your guide!That really helped me!I just asked if there's is guide in the forum 'cause i searched and couldn't find any info.And no what you gave me is not a guide.Could you just answer this without pretending the smart?Or this is just to difficult?Well anyway no hard feelings I don't care.
Am not going to reply to anything else you say cause you are ironic!I'll just wait if there is a more polite answer!
Peace to your complexes.

#8 2011-06-22 13:42:34

stqn
Website

Seriously sepuku, using setxkbmap is extremely easy. I have no experience with xbindkeys but I suppose Gnome includes some kind of utility to create keyboard shortcuts.

Edit: removed part about searching since you said you searched and I can't be bothered to argue about this. But I think that even if you're in a hurry, you shouldn't expect others to search for you, and shouldn't complain like you did when someone tries to help you.

Last edited by stqn (2011-06-22 13:50:51)

#9 2011-06-22 13:46:51

Elline

sepuku
If you are using GNOME3, the keyboard layout settings are in the "localization" or "languages" tool, or something similar I don't remember. Just search for it in shell and you will be given with a convenient GUI.

EDIT: Regions and languages, that's what you need.

Last edited by Elline (2011-06-22 16:44:42)

Board footer