You are not logged in.

#176 2011-06-17 18:55:52

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

vik_k wrote:

thanks. that worked flawlessly. smile

You are welcome. wink

bratmaxe wrote:

Hi, are there any known problems with matching clients by the WM_NAME? It simply does not work for me. Has support for it been removed or am I missing something? Tried the newest subtle-hg from AUR and the one from [community].

There are no known issues, what do you want to match and did you use the

match :name => "name" syntax

? Also keep in mind that matching console based apps via WM_NAME doesn't work, because tags are applied before the console based program can change the WM_NAME of the terminal window.

http://subforge.org/projects/subtle/wiki/Tagging#match
http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=15

Currently there is no way to do w/o e.g. -name. An option would be a hook that runs on change of the WM_NAME atom and call Subtlext::Client#retag to reload tags.

Offline

#177 2011-06-17 19:16:26

bratmaxe
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 71

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

simple example to float the gksu-properties dialog:

tag "test" do
  match :name => "Privilege granting preferences"
  float true
end

doesn't work. I tried serveral programs/windows (all no terminal apps) but had no luck.

edit: Could the spaces in the name be the problem? It's hard to find an app with no spaces in title to test it, but I will look into it.

edit2: OK, it's caused by the spaces in the name-string. Without it works fine smile

this:

tag "test" do
  match :name => "Privilege\\ granting\\ preferences"
  float true
end

works smile nice!

Last edited by bratmaxe (2011-06-17 19:46:11)

Offline

#178 2011-06-17 21:35:27

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Hum, never tried to use whitespaces there, but normally it should work. I will check that, although I cannot change anything about that. subtle just uses regexp stuff (oniguruma) from ruby.

Edit: Yep whitespaces are troublesome and you need to either escape them with a backspace or use enclose them in square brackets.

Last edited by unexist (2011-06-17 22:53:38)

Offline

#179 2011-06-19 16:04:48

bratmaxe
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 71

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Just one more question. I saw your latest changes adding the "fixed" property. Is there a special reason why it does not make the geometry property being ignored as well? This would be very handy in some cases, at least for me.

Offline

#180 2011-06-19 18:22:42

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

bratmaxe wrote:

Just one more question. I saw your latest changes adding the "fixed" property. Is there a special reason why it does not make the geometry property being ignored as well? This would be very handy in some cases, at least for me.

The geometry property sets the size before any other size check is done and I generally think it is nice to be able to set a size and enforce it.

Offline

#181 2011-06-19 19:20:37

bratmaxe
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 71

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Ok, I asked because I have problems to match my webbrowser without matching other windows spawned by it. Is it somehow possible to match the class of a client case sensitive? That would solve my problems as well.

Last edited by bratmaxe (2011-06-19 19:21:54)

Offline

#182 2011-06-19 20:58:00

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

bratmaxe wrote:

Ok, I asked because I have problems to match my webbrowser without matching other windows spawned by it. Is it somehow possible to match the class of a client case sensitive? That would solve my problems as well.

Sure, subtle uses regexp and you can match exactly what you want. Like

match "^foobar$"

to match just this string.

Offline

#183 2011-06-22 15:37:13

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,058

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

@unexist - I have just discovered the set: tiling option. Its like subtle has psuedo-dynamic-tiling powers now!

Also if I start program foo that opens on view bar, is it possible to have subtle automatically switch to view bar?

Offline

#184 2011-06-22 15:42:00

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

anonymous_user wrote:

@unexist - I have just discovered the set: tiling option. Its like subtle has psuedo-dynamic-tiling powers now!

Heh yeah, it is quite annoying but the only tiling that makes sense in subtle.

anonymous_user wrote:

Also if I start program foo that opens on view bar, is it possible to have subtle automatically switch to view bar?

The easiest way to do this would be with a hook, something like:

on :client_create do |c|
    c.views.first.jump if 'bar' == c.instance
end

Offline

#185 2011-06-22 16:01:39

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,058

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

I believe you meant to put foo not bar in that code, but it works so thanks.

One more thing: how do I get programs to open in the view they're called from? At first they kept opening in terms since that is the "default" view but removing that code, the new windows will now open in whatever the first view is.

Offline

#186 2011-06-22 16:28:26

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

subtle uses tagging for placement, you need to set tags in order for windows to be visible on a certain view. When you weak tagging like the one in awesome you need to create e.g. a hook. Check the snippets wiki page.

Offline

#187 2011-06-22 18:40:35

Mmarzex
Member
Registered: 2010-06-30
Posts: 35

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

I have a question for the launcher in the sublte-contrib set of addons. Is there a way for the launcher to recogonize the aliases I have set in my .zshrc or my .bashrc? Or is there away to set aliases through the underlying ruby for subtle?

Offline

#188 2011-06-22 19:05:17

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Mmarzex wrote:

I have a question for the launcher in the sublte-contrib set of addons. Is there a way for the launcher to recogonize the aliases I have set in my .zshrc or my .bashrc? Or is there away to set aliases through the underlying ruby for subtle?

The launcher calls sh in order to start an app, but it reads the path on start. Shellalias won't work, but you can create methods in the config and call them via the launcher with a : as prefix, like:

def foobar
  Subtlext::Subtle.spawn "xterm"
end

And then following in the launcher:

:foobar

This might work for you, dependent on what you want to do.

Last edited by unexist (2011-06-22 19:06:02)

Offline

#189 2011-06-22 19:44:30

Mmarzex
Member
Registered: 2010-06-30
Posts: 35

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:
Mmarzex wrote:

I have a question for the launcher in the sublte-contrib set of addons. Is there a way for the launcher to recogonize the aliases I have set in my .zshrc or my .bashrc? Or is there away to set aliases through the underlying ruby for subtle?

The launcher calls sh in order to start an app, but it reads the path on start. Shellalias won't work, but you can create methods in the config and call them via the launcher with a : as prefix, like:

def foobar
  Subtlext::Subtle.spawn "xterm"
end

And then following in the launcher:

:foobar

This might work for you, dependent on what you want to do.

Awesome thanks I'll give it a shot.

Offline

#190 2011-06-23 04:36:37

Mmarzex
Member
Registered: 2010-06-30
Posts: 35

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:
Mmarzex wrote:

I have a question for the launcher in the sublte-contrib set of addons. Is there a way for the launcher to recogonize the aliases I have set in my .zshrc or my .bashrc? Or is there away to set aliases through the underlying ruby for subtle?

The launcher calls sh in order to start an app, but it reads the path on start. Shellalias won't work, but you can create methods in the config and call them via the launcher with a : as prefix, like:

def foobar
  Subtlext::Subtle.spawn "xterm"
end

And then following in the launcher:

:foobar

This might work for you, dependent on what you want to do.

Hmm that doesn't seem to work I tried a couple different ones and none of them seemed to work.

Offline

#191 2011-06-23 06:24:39

ill
Member
From: US
Registered: 2011-06-22
Posts: 115

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Just installed this WM for the first time today after being away from Arch for ~6 months and I'm loving it. Only one question, is there a way to remove the border from all windows on a certain screen? I'm trying to make my www window not have any border in order to avoid this annoying bright colored border on a screen where my window is always maximized. Thanks.

Offline

#192 2011-06-23 09:21:49

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Mmarzex wrote:

Hmm that doesn't seem to work I tried a couple different ones and none of them seemed to work.

I cannot help you, when you don't tell me what you really want to do.

ill wrote:

Just installed this WM for the first time today after being away from Arch for ~6 months and I'm loving it. Only one question, is there a way to remove the border from all windows on a certain screen? I'm trying to make my www window not have any border in order to avoid this annoying bright colored border on a screen where my window is always maximized. Thanks.

Currently you cannot control border settings, but I could add a tag property that allows this.

Edit: I added a ticket for that: http://subforge.org/issues/223

Last edited by unexist (2011-06-23 09:29:15)

Offline

#193 2011-06-23 09:36:02

lchr
Member
From: Denmark
Registered: 2011-05-10
Posts: 38
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:
Mmarzex wrote:

Hmm that doesn't seem to work I tried a couple different ones and none of them seemed to work.

I cannot help you, when you don't tell me what you really want to do.

ill wrote:

Just installed this WM for the first time today after being away from Arch for ~6 months and I'm loving it. Only one question, is there a way to remove the border from all windows on a certain screen? I'm trying to make my www window not have any border in order to avoid this annoying bright colored border on a screen where my window is always maximized. Thanks.

Currently you cannot control border settings, but I could add a tag property that allows this.

Edit: I added a ticket for that: http://subforge.org/issues/223

Fantastic. The border on Firefox was the reason I disabled borders altogether. Looking forward to the new functionality. Thanks, unexist.

Offline

#194 2011-06-23 11:42:34

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

lchr wrote:

Fantastic. The border on Firefox was the reason I disabled borders altogether. Looking forward to the new functionality. Thanks, unexist.

I added the borderless property in r2900. Going to update the docs now. wink

Offline

#195 2011-06-23 12:40:23

bratmaxe
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 71

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:
bratmaxe wrote:

Ok, I asked because I have problems to match my webbrowser without matching other windows spawned by it. Is it somehow possible to match the class of a client case sensitive? That would solve my problems as well.

Sure, subtle uses regexp and you can match exactly what you want. Like

match "^foobar$"

to match just this string.

Thanks for your reply but the problem is if I do

match "^foobar$"

it still matches both "foobar" and "FOOBAR". That's what I ment with "case sensitive".

Offline

#196 2011-06-23 12:44:48

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

bratmaxe wrote:

Thanks for your reply but the problem is if I do

match "^foobar$"

it still matches both "foobar" and "FOOBAR". That's what I ment with "case sensitive".

Ah sorry, no idea why I read over 'case sensitive'. Can you show me the xprop or subtler output of that window?

Offline

#197 2011-06-23 13:06:11

bratmaxe
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-11-07
Posts: 71

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

subtler -cl:

0x400020 * 0    0 x   16 + 1916 + 1180       center ------ luakit (luakit)
0x40235c * 0  679 x  366 +  557 + 479        center -^---- luakit (Luakit)

The only difference is the capital L in the class of the second window. I want to float the first window (my browser) with a given geometry, but without having this applied to the second window (print dialog, save dialog, etc).

Offline

#198 2011-06-23 13:54:58

Mmarzex
Member
Registered: 2010-06-30
Posts: 35

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

unexist wrote:
Mmarzex wrote:

Hmm that doesn't seem to work I tried a couple different ones and none of them seemed to work.

I cannot help you, when you don't tell me what you really want to do.

Sorry I wasn't thinking. I was trying to have it so that I could type browser into the launcher and it would open uzbl-tabbed. The code I used was

def browser
                 Subtlext::Subtle.spawn "uzbl-tabbed"
           end

I also tried the one you put in the first post with the foobar launching xterm but that didn't work either.

Offline

#199 2011-06-23 14:30:50

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Mmarzex wrote:

Sorry I wasn't thinking. I was trying to have it so that I could type browser into the launcher and it would open uzbl-tabbed. The code I used was

def browser
                 Subtlext::Subtle.spawn "uzbl-tabbed"
           end

I also tried the one you put in the first post with the foobar launching xterm but that didn't work either.

Hum that really beats the purpose of this feature, why not just adding a grab that launches uzbl-tab for you?

Offline

#200 2011-06-23 14:46:29

unexist
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-05-13
Posts: 300
Website

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

bratmaxe wrote:

subtler -cl:

0x400020 * 0    0 x   16 + 1916 + 1180       center ------ luakit (luakit)
0x40235c * 0  679 x  366 +  557 + 479        center -^---- luakit (Luakit)

The only difference is the capital L in the class of the second window. I want to float the first window (my browser) with a given geometry, but without having this applied to the second window (print dialog, save dialog, etc).

The regexp in subtle are case-insensitive to avoid problems with case, obviously. I added another window type to subtle to allow a different kind of matching but that does exactly what you want to do. http://subforge.org/issues/224

We know that the dialog window has the window type dialog and the normal window is of type normal. So we can match both when we combine window type AND instance name. Easy like that:

tag 'luakit_normal' do
  match type: :normal, instance: 'luakit'
end

tag 'luakit_dialog' do
  match type: :dialog, instance: 'luakit'
end

This requires 0.10.2905.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB