You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-23 00:42:34

astronaut

Sec question - a open root terminal

Hi everyone!

If I work as a normal user, connected to a Network or Internet, after installing or updating some stuff, the terminal is often still open at the background logged in as root.

Is it a security problem, or would it better to close it after work is done, or doesn't matter because its protected of any ways?
Could someone please explain me  the correlations in short words?

Thanks indeed, D.Astronaut

#2 2011-06-23 00:51:48

lagagnon
Website

Re: Sec question - a open root terminal

It would only be a security problem if your computer is available for anyone to use who happens to walk by and enter commands at that terminal. The safer way of doing things is to use "sudo" when you want to run a root command, that way sudo only enables root commands to be run for 5 minutes before it again prompts for the password.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-06-23 00:54:24

noaham

Use sudo. It should be fine for almost anything you would like to do as root user. See the wiki page for how to configure it.

If you must log in as root for whatever reason it is probably best to log out, even just to minimise the risk of accidentally typing something into the terminal that you meant to type in another window that is open (which I often do because I bump the touchpad on my laptop and accidentally select another window).

Edit: beaten to the punch, but that is a good point if you ever leave your computer unattended

Last edited by noaham (2011-06-23 00:56:49)

#4 2011-06-23 01:16:15

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

astronaut wrote:

Is it a security problem, or would it better to close it after work is done, or doesn't matter because its protected of any ways?

What do you mean it is "protected"?

Best Practice is generally accepted that you do NOT leave root terminals open unattended.

Board footer