You are not logged in.

#201 2011-06-23 15:16:56

bratmaxe

Re: subtle - another tiling window manager

Thanks! smile That's a very nice solution, works! Thank you for your help unexist smile

#202 2011-06-23 15:18:47

unexist
Website

bratmaxe wrote:

Thanks! smile That's a very nice solution, works! Thank you for your help unexist smile

You are welcome. smile

#203 2011-06-23 21:10:33

ill

unexist wrote:
lchr wrote:

Fantastic. The border on Firefox was the reason I disabled borders altogether. Looking forward to the new functionality. Thanks, unexist.

I added the borderless property in r2900. Going to update the docs now. wink

Thanks for adding the feature so quickly smile Now to patiently wait for the build to become available.

#204 2011-06-23 21:23:39

lchr
Website

ill wrote:
unexist wrote:
lchr wrote:

Fantastic. The border on Firefox was the reason I disabled borders altogether. Looking forward to the new functionality. Thanks, unexist.

Thanks for adding the feature so quickly smile Now to patiently wait for the build to become available.

Get subtle-hg from the AUR. 2900 has been available all day smile

#205 2011-06-23 22:14:49

unexist
Website

lchr wrote:

Yep, will take a bit until a new stable. See here:

http://subforge.org/projects/subtle/versions/14

#206 2011-06-24 00:38:56

ill

lchr wrote:
ill wrote:
unexist wrote:

Weird I tried updating it earlier and it didn't work. Tried again now and it did :] Thanks again for all the work put into this WM.

#207 2011-06-24 10:23:39

unexist
Website

ill wrote:

Weird I tried updating it earlier and it didn't work. Tried again now and it did :] Thanks again for all the work put into this WM.

Hum the changes were up when I posted here. You are welcome. smile

#208 2011-07-14 19:43:55

sensory

Hi all,

I've done a search to see if anyone else has the same issue as I do, but I haven't found anything.

Basically, whenever I open a window and set it to the Bottom gravity, there's a small gap inbetween the bottom of the window and the bottom of the screen. It's only about 1px but it's noticeable on a light background. The same doesn't happen if I set the same window to either Left or Right gravity; the bottom of the window sits flush against the bottom of the screen.

A screenshot showing what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/RpTKc.jpg
My subtle.rb: http://pastebin.com/GDYYVt0V

I can move the window down, but when I switch back to that view it will have new gaps on either side as well as on the bottom.

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. I'd love to give you the version number but I installed subtle through Mercurial and I'm not sure how to find the version number.

Last edited by sensory (2011-07-14 19:51:14)

#209 2011-07-14 19:49:03

tacticalbread
Website

I've got the exact same problem. I thought it was just my terminals, but I just noticed it also happens with non-terminal apps as well. :\

don't save us from the flames

#210 2011-07-14 20:07:53

unexist
Website

sensory wrote:

Basically, whenever I open a window and set it to the Bottom gravity, there's a small gap inbetween the bottom of the window and the bottom of the screen. It's only about 1px but it's noticeable on a light background. The same doesn't happen if I set the same window to either Left or Right gravity; the bottom of the window sits flush against the bottom of the screen.

This happens, when a window like most of the terminals are forced to use a certain size and the window manager ignores the size hints. This basically the same problem as this: http://subforge.org/ezfaq/show/subtle?faq_id=18

Just enable size hints for this window or globally if you want to set that for all windows and the window is resized properly. Be aware, that this creates a real gap and subtle centers the windows in that gravity.

#211 2011-07-14 21:00:51

sensory

unexist wrote:

Just enable size hints for this window or globally if you want to set that for all windows and the window is resized properly. Be aware, that this creates a real gap and subtle centers the windows in that gravity.

So there's no way around these gaps now? I just enabled resize for the offending windows and there are quite noticeable gaps around the terminal windows.

Isn't there a way to completely do away with gaps?

#212 2011-07-15 08:22:20

unexist
Website

sensory wrote:

So there's no way around these gaps now? I just enabled resize for the offending windows and there are quite noticeable gaps around the terminal windows.

Isn't there a way to completely do away with gaps?

Yesno, you need to understand why there are such gaps: Some windows have preferences of their size, because e.g. for a terminal a column or a row that no letter of the selected font fits in is useless. The size hints advise the window manager keep this constraints if it is compliant.

There exist patches for urxvt to handle the gap and the redraw issues and there was a package in AUR, IIRC.

#213 2011-07-15 14:27:14

sensory

Thanks for the speedy reply. smile I'll look into that patch for urxvt.

#214 2011-07-15 14:29:25

unexist
Website

sensory wrote:

Thanks for the speedy reply. smile I'll look into that patch for urxvt.

Np, haven't tested either of them, just heard it fixes that problem. aur/rxvt-unicode-patched and aur/rxvt-unicode-256xresources sound find for me based on the description.

#215 2011-09-04 09:18:59

Varg

Since you're not on IRC and I need to study, I'll just dig up this thread smile

When I log in to Subtle right after boot, MPD gives an EOF error and Subtle freezes while eating 100% CPU.
I use startx in .bash_profile on login and I launch Subtle and MPD with .xinitrc. I need to kill the session with Ctrl-C in tty and then kill the subtle process in htop. Second time I login, all works fine.

I didn't  notice this with any other WM that I tried and I launch them all in the same way. So I guess it's related to Subtle.

I'm using Subtle-hg.

#216 2011-09-04 12:34:54

unexist
Website

Varg wrote:

Since you're not on IRC and I need to study, I'll just dig up this thread smile

Yeah sorry, sometimes I need some sleep. wink

Varg wrote:

When I log in to Subtle right after boot, MPD gives an EOF error and Subtle freezes while eating 100% CPU.
I use startx in .bash_profile on login and I launch Subtle and MPD with .xinitrc. I need to kill the session with Ctrl-C in tty and then kill the subtle process in htop. Second time I login, all works fine.

What do you start first, subtle or mpd?

#217 2011-09-04 14:41:16

Varg

unexist wrote:

What do you start first, subtle or mpd?

I start MPD with .xinitrc so it starts before Subtle.

#!/bin/bash
#
#Subtle launch script
#Puts everything in a ck-launch session.
#

# Launch dbus session
if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval "$(dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session)"
fi

xscreensaver -no-splash &
mpd /home/jorick/.mpd/mpd.conf &
# Only one mpdscribble session
pidof mpdscribble >& /dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
	 mpdscribble  --daemon-user jorick --conf .mpdscribble/mpdscribble.conf &
fi

# background
feh --bg-fill ~/Pictures/Wallpapers/wallpaper-589133.jpg &
udiskie &
urxvtd -q -o -f &

# Set correct keyboard layout
setxkbmap -layout 'be'

## Subtle
subtle

Actually that script is launched through .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session "$HOME"/.xinit.d/subtle

It works fine with other Wm's and it worked fine before with Subtle. Sadly I can't remember when this first happened.

#218 2011-09-04 22:32:43

unexist
Website

Varg wrote:

It works fine with other Wm's and it worked fine before with Subtle. Sadly I can't remember when this first happened.

Before I try to reproduce that: You are using the latest version of the mpd sublet, right?

#219 2011-09-05 10:45:10

Varg

unexist wrote:

Before I try to reproduce that: You are using the latest version of the mpd sublet, right?

It might not be necessary any more but my sublets are up to date.

I was about to do some further testing since I have some time today but now I failed to reproduce the error.
I rebooted 2 times and did a full system halt 2 times but no error.
MPD got an update yesterday so it might be an mpd problem that is fixed now. Or... it appears at random and with my luck it doesn't happen when I want to test it. That would actually make sense tongue

I'll keep you posted when I get the error again.

#220 2011-09-05 11:15:55

unexist
Website

Varg wrote:

I was about to do some further testing since I have some time today but now I failed to reproduce the error.
I rebooted 2 times and did a full system halt 2 times but no error.
MPD got an update yesterday so it might be an mpd problem that is fixed now. Or... it appears at random and with my luck it doesn't happen when I want to test it. That would actually make sense tongue

I'll keep you posted when I get the error again.

I love that kind of errors, are you using PA? It is definitely the fault of the mpd sublet not subtle, the lock happens when there is data left on the socket and the sublet doesn't flush it.

#221 2011-09-05 11:49:37

Varg

unexist wrote:

I love that kind of errors, are you using PA?

When PA is Pulseaudio then yes smile Got that thing on my system since Gnome 3.
You're crazy for loving that kind of errors tongue But please tell me if I can provide any info to help.

#222 2011-09-05 13:43:03

unexist
Website

Varg wrote:

When PA is Pulseaudio then yes smile Got that thing on my system since Gnome 3.
You're crazy for loving that kind of errors tongue But please tell me if I can provide any info to help.

That was sarcasm and I won't install PA here as long as I can prevent it. Someone told me that this kind of problem exists with PA, but wasn't able to reproduce that in a VM.

#223 2011-09-06 20:34:49

arxx.43

Hey,

since i recently updated from version 3000 to 3037, i'm experiencing following problem:

I use some grabs similar to the following example to tag clients with asingle tag, so that they appear on a certain view (only).

grab "W-S-4" do |c|
    c.tags=("misc")
end

since the update, this doen't work anymore. clients seemed to disappear. i found out, that all tags are stripped, so the client won't appear on any view, most interesting was that after a while of not using the workstation, the clients reappear with the tags they used to have before using the grab.

#224 2011-09-06 21:59:09

unexist
Website

Hi,

arxx.43 wrote:

since i recently updated from version 3000 to 3037, i'm experiencing following problem:

the last changes of the tagging system were in r2992, so it is unlikely that the update changed anything.

arxx.43 wrote:

since the update, this doen't work anymore. clients seemed to disappear. i found out, that all tags are stripped, so the client won't appear on any view,

You are using the wrong method, you want #tag and _not_ #tags=. #tag expects a single tag (string or object) and adds the to the client whereas #tags= expects an array (of string and/or objects) and sets the tags of the window to the tags it finds in the passed array. Since you aren't passing a valid array (you can skip the brackets, they aren't needed if you just pass a string) it removes all tags and sets none. This hides the client from all views.

You can argue that this is a bug, but actually it is quite intended to be able to remove all tags at once. When you do that with #untag subtle adds the default tag, whent he client would be invisible afterwards.

arxx.43 wrote:

most interesting was that after a while of not using the workstation, the clients reappear with the tags they used to have before using the grab.

Again this is unlikely and sounds more like some kind of reload, subtle never does this automatically.

Last edited by unexist (2011-09-07 11:21:05)

#225 2011-09-07 09:02:19

arxx.43

ups, probably i didn't use this grab some time. i'll just settle for the usual "it used to work" (tm) wink

ok, i see. intentionally untagging a client is a useful behaviour. nevertheless, untagging in case of configuration errors like mine seems to be not a real bug - as it is caused by a user error - but a rather unexpected behaviour.

however, to just have the new tag as the _only_ tag of the client i hda to do something like c.tags = ["misc"]?

Board footer