You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-28 07:46:16

BoonMcBoon

Installing Openbox with Slim

Hello all! After a sloppy install of Arch with Xfce4 as practice, I decided to try a proper install with slim and openbox this time. But I'm having a problem towards the end.

Here is what I did:

-Installed xorg-server, xterm, clock and twm. I didn't install xinit since I want to use a DM.
-Installed mesa, xf86-video-vmware, xf86-video-fbdev
-Installed Slim, added to Daemons along with dbus and hal.
-Installed openbox with the additional pyxdg and python2 dependencies.
-Copied menu.xml & rc.xml into the proper directory.

However, when I try "exec openbox-session" it says:

Openbox-Message: Failed to open the display from the DISPLAY environment variable.
Does this mean I have to install the entire xorg and not just the server? If yes, are there any specific packages I can install without installing the whole thing?

Last edited by BoonMcBoon (2011-06-28 07:46:54)

#2 2011-06-28 09:12:05

berbae

Re: Installing Openbox with Slim

The command "exec openbox-session" doesn't automatically launch the X server; without a DM, you need to use the startx bash script with a proper $HOME/.xinitrc file. So in this case, you need to install the xorg-xinit package.
If you want to use directly the Slim DM, you should read the Slim wiki page.

Last edited by berbae (2011-06-28 09:17:13)

#3 2011-06-28 16:48:28

BoonMcBoon

berbae wrote:

The command "exec openbox-session" doesn't automatically launch the X server; without a DM, you need to use the startx bash script with a proper $HOME/.xinitrc file. So in this case, you need to install the xorg-xinit package.
If you want to use directly the Slim DM, you should read the Slim wiki page.

OK I did as you said. When I reboot and the Slim's logon page opens up, after I write my username and password and try to log in, it crashes and restarts the tty7. The weird thing is, when I press ctrl+shit+f1 it gives me xfce, blackbox, etc.. but no openbox session

Excuse my noobiness >.<

#4 2011-06-28 17:18:20

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Can you show us your slim.conf and your .xinitrc please?

Also are you using the inittab method to spawn slim? Show us your inittab as well in that case.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer