You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-28 17:14:47

ouroboros

Flash doesn't work in Opera and Konqueror

Hello,

since Firefox doesn't work for me atm, I'm using Konqueror and Opera as a substitute. The experience is lessened, however, by the fact that I can't reliably view flash content in either browser. In Opera, when I access youtube, for example, I get nothing but a white rectangle where the video should be. In Konqueror, whenever I access a site with flash content, the program nspluginviewer immediately crashes with a floating point exception.

#2 2011-06-28 17:16:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Flash doesn't work in Opera and Konqueror

How updated is your system? I think you should forego nspluginviewer and install flashplugin -- if you are using x86_64, then flashplugin is in multilib, you will have to enable it.

Do not use the version in AUR as that one has a security hole.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-28 17:28:58

ouroboros

I did a full update today. I have flashplugin installed. What package is nspluginviewer from?

Edit: Just found it, it's a part of kdebase-konqueror. How do I get rid of it?

Last edited by ouroboros (2011-06-28 17:30:03)

#4 2011-06-28 18:24:50

TheFiddler

There is a known bug where flashplugin uses a specific CPU instruction without checking whether your CPU supports it. Typical adobe inability.

Someone has written a patch to correct the issue. I don't know if it's been packaged for Arch, though, an AUR search is your best bet.

The Open Toolkit: OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenCL and Vulkan for Mono/.Net.

#5 2011-06-28 18:51:27

ouroboros

Thanks, I'll try that. If it doesn't work—is there a way to evade the official flash plugin entirely? Some open source alternative?

#6 2011-06-28 18:53:33

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

ouroboros wrote:

Thanks, I'll try that. If it doesn't work—is there a way to evade the official flash plugin entirely? Some open source alternative?

Nothing that actually works flawlessly, but you could give Gnash a try. --I don't even know if its updated or not, but back a year or two, it was the only alternative available.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-06-29 05:18:01

k_ibou

so is it better go for flashplugin(in x86_64 ) than any square prerelease?

#8 2011-06-29 06:18:44

sputter
Website

I use opera and find that the you need  to make sure it is trying to use npwrapper.libflashplayer.so as it's flash player.
However that seemed to cause a lot of issues and lead to slowness while dealing with flash.
I did try to add the /usr/lib32/mozilla/plugins/ to the plugin directories Opera watched, but it didn't seem to work.
So I began downloading the 32 bit version of flash player directly from adobe, since Opera's pluginwrapper natively supports 32 bit plugins.
Just download the tar.gz file and pull the libflashplayer.so file and copy it to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so. You will need to do that as root or with sudo, if you have it set up on your system. Opera will pick it up automatically. after that as long as it is looking in that folder.
Since flashplugin seems to put a copy of libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib32/mozilla/plugins/, I wonder if you can just copy that to /usr/lib/plugins

Board footer