You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-24 22:05:41

Locri

Wireless card not "on" ?

Hello,

So far this forum has been good to me, so I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me out with another problem I've recently encountered.

I am currently trying to set up my Wireless card which is a Belkin F5D7000 card that uses the rt2500 chipset (which there are drivers for through Ralink) and though I have been able to install the drivers alright, I didn't notice until recently that the lights on the back of the card are out and the card doesn't seem to be "active" at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this to happen?  The card does show up on lspci, but only as "Network controller: unknown device" (although I know that it is the card because of the identification codes).

Thanks!

-Locri

#2 2005-06-24 23:13:38

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Wireless card not "on" ?

does it come up if you run iwconfig?

#3 2005-06-25 00:16:24

Locri

No, it doesn't come up when I run iwconfig.  Even if I try iwlist ra0 scan, it finds no networks.

The card works perfectly in Windows, so I don't know why it would fail to start up on the Linux side.

-Locri

#4 2005-06-25 02:43:01

renners1

What a co-incidence, I installed Belkin wlan on my Arch/XP dual-boot system a few days ago!....

I'm running the Windows drivers on Arch using ndiswrapper... have you got this bit working yet? You need the rt2500 drivers which you can download or you can find them on your windows installation in program files/belkin.... (you need the .inf and .sys files)

Another issue I've had is I can't get the wlan working on linux with WEP encryption enabled but it works ok on XP. I'm using mac-address locking for security at moment.

If you can be more specific about what your having a problem with I'll try to help (but a bit later when I get back to my home PC!)

- Cheers, Renners

Microsoft stole my computer, Linux gave it back.

#5 2005-06-25 13:07:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Anything useful in dmesg when you modprobe the module? Also, here's a stupidly obvious question - did you try ifconfig ra0 up?

Board footer