You are not logged in.

#26 2011-07-13 10:59:59

maep

Re: fehlstart: a simple, quick application launcher written in C

@twix: size customization can be added easily

@DIDI2002:
with a few tricks I even managed to get the size down to ~10k :-)
opening a directory is possible to add, but I have to think about it (how to do it best). in the meantime, there is a workaround:
put this in ~.config/fehlstart/commands.rc (you can get there by typing edit commands in fehlstart)

[open]
Icon=gtk-open
Exec=xdg-open

save the file. then tell fehlstart to re-read the config files by typing update fehlstart.
you can then type open /foo and later probably o /foo to use that command

#27 2011-07-13 14:11:21

Guff
Website

@twix, so easily, in fact, I just added it. Just remember to run fehlstart after upgrading, then quit. That will automatically write the new config options to the file.

#28 2011-07-15 11:54:30

DIDI2002

I'd like to report a bug: The 'regular' enter-key works, but the one on my numpad produces some unprintable characters instead.
r7p4kg.png

#29 2011-07-15 12:48:06

maep

thanks for reporting, I'll have a look this evening.

#30 2011-07-15 12:59:40

DIDI2002

Oh and when I press <TAB> the program sometimes quits with a Floating point exception, but I'll try to find a reproducible way to do that first

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2011-07-15 13:01:56)

#31 2011-07-15 13:07:35

maep

I've seen this one time but couldn't reproduce it either.

#32 2011-07-15 14:03:54

Guff
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

I'd like to report a bug: The 'regular' enter-key works, but the one on my numpad produces some unprintable characters instead.
http://i54.tinypic.com/r7p4kg.png

Just pushed out a very minor change which I hope will have fixed this. Unfortunately, I can't easily test it, as I don't have such a key on my netbook.

DIDI2002 wrote:

Oh and when I press <TAB> the program sometimes quits with a Floating point exception, but I'll try to find a reproducible way to do that first

I encountered this bug yesterday and pushed out something which should have fixed it. It was triggered when the result list was empty. So, pressing tab, up, or down before typing anything else (or in any other situation where the list was empty) would cause a crash.

It's possible I missed something, though, so let me know if this seems to have fixed it.

#33 2011-07-15 14:26:58

DIDI2002

Works and doesn't crash on empty-line Tab smile

#34 2011-07-20 17:12:26

twix

I have an idea :

Allow to run some CLI commands and print the result as the name just under the icon. To define them, we could use the config file, in a [execute] section or something like that. I'm not sure if require to press 'enter' is better or just print the result when input match the command.

If it's not clear, don't hesitate to ask for clarification wink

#35 2011-07-20 18:18:47

Guff
Website

twix wrote:

I have an idea :

Allow to run some CLI commands and print the result as the name just under the icon. To define them, we could use the config file, in a [execute] section or something like that. I'm not sure if require to press 'enter' is better or just print the result when input match the command.

If it's not clear, don't hesitate to ask for clarification wink

Yeah, it's a little unclear. Can you just elaborate a bit? What exactly would the entry in the config file look like? And you mean the output would be displayed as the name of the selected item?

#36 2011-07-20 20:00:12

maep

@twix

can you give an example? (what you type, what output you expect, etc...)
how should it behave if the output is more than one line?

[enter] to run the command would be required. let's say you want to type rm -rf ~/foo. if the text is evaluated for every keystroke you'd only get to rm -rf ~ which could be a problem smile

btw, do you know that you can configure it to have a "run in terminal" command? (maybe that should be included as default?)

#37 2011-07-21 00:22:12

twix

Sorry, I realize now that my previous post was not clear at all wink

What I would like to do is use for example the command 'acpi' which give the time and level remaining on battery, and have the output shown directly in fehlstart, and not in a term (to fasten the use of such programs)

Maybe allow only commands pre-defined in a config file with syntax similar to actions.rc, like that :

[acpi]
short_key=bat # alias I type
name=Battery level # "Nice name"

The process (for the user) would be like the current lauch process : type acpi, <enter>, and then fehlstart show the output, and <escape> hide the window as currently

For multiple lines I think you could rely on the existing resize windows code to show the maximum information for the total screen size and truncate if needed.
I think the output should be displayed between icon and "textbox" of fehlstart, maybe with a border or an horizontal line to distinguish text input of fehlstart and the command output.

I would like to see it implemented to reduce to zero the utility of a traybar or conky on my old netbook smile

@maep : I could use an action using zenity to show a pop-up, but it's not optimal

Thank you for listening the users, it's pleasant wink

I will have a look on the current code too have an idea on how to implement this, but do not expect something from me soon, I have zero GTK knowledge and little C/C++ knowledge ;(

#38 2011-07-21 17:00:25

Guff
Website

@twix, well, it sounds doable. Off the top of my head, though, I'm not sure what the best way to get a program's stdout into a string is. I'll have to look into it. That seems to be the hard part. Actually displaying the output should be easier.

#39 2011-08-02 11:00:25

maep

I just wanted to say that I put it on my todo list, but I'm busy for the next 2 weeks.

Board footer