You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-13 21:55:32

multios

usb wireless modem to install the netinstall cd?

After downloading and installing arch via a netinstall cd, is it possible to use my usb wireless modem and ppp to connect to the internet? I assume ppp is on the netinstall cd.
Thanks
m

btw- I did search the wiki and this forum, but didn't find my answer wink
I use the modem for other linux distros, windows, and openbsd.

#2 2011-07-13 22:06:41

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: usb wireless modem to install the netinstall cd?

multios wrote:

After downloading and installing arch via a netinstall cd

This suggests that you already have a network connection - after all, you can't do a netinstall without a net. smile

If that is the case, then you don't need to concern yourself with the capabilities of the install cd anymore - complete your install over your existing net connection, and then work out how to provide support for your modem in your newly-installed arch system.

However, if you do not have an existing network connection, use existing documentation, in the archwiki and elsewhere, as your starting point for adding usb modem support to the live install environment. This page would probably be a good place to start. You didn't give any details about your device, but there are various pages about Huawei devices there too.

#3 2011-07-13 22:31:53

multios

Re: usb wireless modem to install the netinstall cd?

I'll be using Debian to download and burn the image to cd. Then boot into archlinux smile
I looked at other distros and they didn't even have ppp installed on their netinstall image/cd.
Anyway, it looks like I will need usb_modeswitch.
I'm on a slow and limited broadband contract, so may not be back to update my progress till tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

btw- modem is Novatel 760

Board footer