You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-07 07:00:06

Baragwanath

[solved] Warning: .. deprecated. Use netcfg to create a single wired..

hi,

I always get the error message when booting "Warning: this 'something something' is deprecated ... use netcfg to create a single-wired connection" (something like that)
My mainboard has two ethernet interfaces, one of which is linked to a router to access the internet (dsl). Sometimes the connection to the web works, sometimes not. Also would like to get rid of the warning message at bootup.

EDIT: solved as follows:

The two ethernet interfaces kept switching names on boot, so I had to identify each of them by their MAC adress and assign them a static name.

Also the old /etc/rc.conf was merged with the new one from the pacman-update, /etc/rc.conf.pacnew

DHCP was the setup of choice in this router-scenario and was done follows, because for DHCP to work only the interface name is needed:

interface=eth0
address=
netmask=
gateway=

to solve the nameswitching of the interfaces causing the random disfunctionality on booting I referred to udev wiki section 3.4.3 (as follows):
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … _Each_Boot

Mixed Up Devices, Sound/Network Cards Changing Order Each Boot

Because udev loads all modules asynchronously, they are initialized in a different order. This can result in devices randomly switching names. For example, with two network cards, you may notice a switching of designations between eth0 and eth1.

Arch Linux provides the advantage of specifying the module load order by listing the modules in the MODULES array in rc.conf. Modules in this array are loaded before udev begins auto-loading, so you have full control over the load order.

# Always load 8139too before e100

MODULES=(8139too e100)

Another method for network card ordering is to use the udev-sanctioned method of statically-naming each interface. Create the following file to bind the MAC address of each of your cards to a certain interface name:

File: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff", NAME="lan0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa", NAME="wlan0"

A couple things to note:

-    To get the MAC address of each card, use this command: udevadm info -a -p /sys/class/net/<yourdevice> | grep address | tr [A-Z] [a-z]
-    Make sure to use the lower-case hex values in your udev rules. It doesn't like upper-case.
-    Some people have problems naming their interfaces after the old style: eth0, eth1, etc. Try something like "lan" or "wlan" if you experience this problem.

Don't forget to update your /etc/rc.conf and other configuration files using the old ethX notation!

Another method for setting network interface names is described in the Configuring Network wiki entry. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Configuring_Network
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Con … es_varying

thanks to all who helped! cheers!

Last edited by Baragwanath (2011-07-09 05:26:22)

#2 2011-07-07 07:05:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [solved] Warning: .. deprecated. Use netcfg to create a single wired..

Please post descriptive titles and include specific information in your threads; "blah something blah" isn't particularly helpful.

Search the wiki for "disable clearing of boot messages" and you will be able to edit your thread accordingly.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-07-07 10:10:39

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Read the news and merge your .pacnew files timely. Standard operating procedure.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-07-07 10:11:30)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2011-07-07 10:11:25

falconindy
Developer
Website

You were given an /etc/rc.conf.pacnew when the initscripts package was upgraded with this change. You'd be well served to review the output of 'diff -u' between the two files. Much like the old rc.conf, the new rc.conf contains instructions and examples for the new setup.

#5 2011-07-07 10:52:40

Baragwanath

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I tried it and it still did not work.
but I have an idea what the cause could be though: my mainboard has two network cable slots. and I've experienced that they appearantly sometimes switch names (the second being eth0 and the first being eth1) - if I'm not mistaken. is that a possibility?

what to do in such a case?

#6 2011-07-07 11:16:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

If they use different drivers, blacklist the driver for the card you don't need.

If they use the same driver, see the wiki's udev page, section 3.4.3.

Very simple, and not an acronym in sight. smile

#7 2011-07-08 00:55:25

Baragwanath

falconindy wrote:

You were given an /etc/rc.conf.pacnew when the initscripts package was upgraded with this change. You'd be well served to review the output of 'diff -u' between the two files. Much like the old rc.conf, the new rc.conf contains instructions and examples for the new setup.

the rc.conf.pacnew contains a paragraph

# Setting this to "yes" will skip network shutdown.
# This is required if your root device is on NFS.
NETWORK_PERSIST="no"

if I set this to "yes" on a dhcp-using computer, will it speed up booting because the router doesn't have to assign a new IP-adress?

also, my old rc.conf had the following DAEMONS loading

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network netfs ntpd crond cpufreq @alsa)

I've read that some DAEMON entries no longer have to be put in there (like dbus for instance, if I'm not mistaken). Which ones of those (from the old rc.conf) should I merge into the new rc.conf?

@tomk: thank you, that was very helpful! I hope that solves the nameswitching issue.

Last edited by Baragwanath (2011-07-08 01:11:57)

#8 2011-07-08 03:04:54

stlarch

Baragwanath wrote:

I've read that some DAEMON entries no longer have to be put in there (like dbus for instance, if I'm not mistaken).

I think that only applies if you're using hal. If not, you should put dbus in your daemons array.

#9 2011-07-08 12:04:12

Baragwanath

Thanks for the help everyone! Problems solved. The first post of this thread has been modified accordingly.

#10 2011-07-15 20:04:11

supercow

falconindy wrote:

thanks a lot that helped me. I had the same issue and it is now solved by replacing my NETWORK configuration in rc.conf with the example given in rc.conf.pacnew.

regards
Olivier

Board footer