You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-21 06:03:28

AKL

[SOLVED] /home and / (and may be /boot) on same partition

Hi,

because of small disk size I have to use the same partition for /home and /. During installation I haven't set any mount point for /home and I suppose I now have to make an entry for /home in /etc/fstab. How should it look like?
Are there any other changes I have to do? May be system variables?

And just out of curiosity, what has to be done to get /boot on the same partition?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited by AKL (2011-07-22 06:35:19)

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#2 2011-07-21 06:07:22

lifeafter2am

Re: [SOLVED] /home and / (and may be /boot) on same partition

You don't need to set any mountpoints to anything that isn't on a separate partition.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2011-07-21 06:44:44

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

The size of the disk, i believe, has no bearing on the choice of creating separate partitions for /home.

How would it matter as long as you gave relatively enough to each partition?? If the drive is going to fill up, it will fill up irrespective of whether / and /home are on the same partition or on different partitions.

Now if you weren't sure at all about how much space to give to /, then that might be an issue going forward, but its still easily fixable with a GParted Live cd anyway.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-07-21 06:55:45

Kirurgs

I think the author face kind of the same problem as I do sometimes smile
See, when to give some space to partition it has to be calculated properly, even if that is done correctly now it might not be correct in the future due to various usage. I sometimes end up having a lot of space in / but lacking in /opt or /var or whatever, to compensate that I make ditrs/symlinks to different partitions just to get some space. I encountered this only on small disks, when disks are big, I give enough room to everything and it's fine.
The best in this case is to put everything on one partition (if home has not to be encrypted), but be careful when reinstalling due to home can be erased accidentally.
As for the mounts, you don't need to give anything, it just creates home on /.

#5 2011-07-21 10:37:53

brucejustbruce

AKL wrote:

Hi,

because of small disk size I have to use the same partition for /home and /. During installation I haven't set any mount point for /home and I suppose I now have to make an entry for /home in /etc/fstab. How should it look like?
Are there any other changes I have to do? May be system variables?

And just out of curiosity, what has to be done to get /boot on the same partition?

Thanks,
Alex

You're okay having everything on one partitition.  No need for any fstab entries  for /home or /boot.
I usually do it this way because there's nothing more frustrating than being in the middle of some project and having it  grind to a halt because the "device is full"  (the cevice being a partition).

Bruce

#6 2011-07-21 11:05:14

AKL

Thanks for all the answers! So unless there are mount points defined in /etc/fstab the system assumes everything is under / and looks there for /home, /boot and so on? What about swap? Is it possible to use a folder/file instead of an partition?

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#7 2011-07-21 14:11:53

lifeafter2am

AKL wrote:

Thanks for all the answers! So unless there are mount points defined in /etc/fstab the system assumes everything is under / and looks there for /home, /boot and so on? What about swap? Is it possible to use a folder/file instead of an partition?

Yes that is correct.

For Swap / Swap files please look at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Board footer