You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-21 16:48:32

firecat53
Website

Mysql replication appropriate for keeping laptop in sync?

I've setup Mysql master slave replication with server as master. I have three machines as slaves, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, and 1 server. The desktop and laptop both get suspended to ram or hibernated at least daily, if not several times a day. At first I setup the default 'mixed' replication, which is basically statement-based, until I realized that the computations on the server that involved numerous temporary tables were not getting picked up by the two slaves (the slaves would error out when then couldn't find the temporary tables). The server works perfectly, because it's always on.

SO, I switched to row-based replication, thinking that would work better. However, I'm still getting frequent errors after the machines are woken up, the most recent of which is

Could not execute Update_rows event on table database.tablename; Can't find record in 'tablename', Error_code: 1032; handler error HA_ERR_KEY_NOT_FOUND;

I can use the 'SET GLOBAL_SQL_SKIP_COUNTER=1' trick to bypass the error and continue, but I'm afraid the slaves will get more and more out of sync if I setup that to happen automatically after any error. FYI, the slaves are just used for development and never get written to.

Is this not an appropriate setup for replication usage? It sounded from the documentation that network availability would not be an issue (other than the temporary tables problem, which row-based replication should work around).

Anyone else have experience with this kind of setup? I can provide configurations if it would be useful. I can do a daily import of a mysqldump gz file, but it seems like a clunkier solution, especially as the production server data is growing every day...

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2011-07-21 17:07:25)

#2 2011-07-23 04:57:36

firecat53
Website

Re: Mysql replication appropriate for keeping laptop in sync?

FYI, I posted this question here as well. Got a couple of interesting answers, but feel free to chime in if you have other ideas!

Scott

Board footer