You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-28 06:59:10

glitz

forcedeth and nvnet

Hi!

After upgrading to the latest kernel, I found I could no longer install the nforce package (due to "/opt/nforce/NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0301-pkg1/nvnet/nvenet.c:990: error: structure has no member named `slot_name").  This isn't much of a problem, as I can easily use the forcedeth driver.  But does anyone know how these two compare to each other?  Is there a performance or stability difference between them?

#2 2005-06-28 13:19:58

incinerator

Re: forcedeth and nvnet

Well, I've always been using the forcedeth driver and never installed the driver provided by nvidia. On my nforce2 system the forcedeth driver has been working without problems and seems to be fast enough to reliably saturate my 100mbit full duplex ethernet link. However, since you did not tell us anything about your h/w configuration, ymmv of course.

#3 2005-06-28 15:29:20

glitz

I've got an nforce3 motherboard, with a 10mbit ethernet connection smile  I just asked the question, as I had read some negative comments about the first forcedeth releases (but then again, the nforce drivers by Nvidia aren't perfect either).

I'll stick with this driver for now smile

#4 2005-06-29 00:26:41

Algol

I used the forcedeth driver for the first six months without problems, but then suddenly the network would hang now and then, and I had to turn off the power to the mobo for it to reset.

I figured it was a HW-problem (since even normal reboots wouldn't fix it, not even hard ones... had to turn off power by the PSU to reset the mobo) and continued using forcedeth, but just now 2 weeks ago, I changed to nvnet and the hangs have completely disappeared. 2 weeks isn't enough time to be totally certain, but at least it's a good indication... I'll stick with nvnet for now.

Go with forcedeth, but if you experience hangs, go back to nvnet

//Algol
MSI neo-something 3000+ (754)

Board footer