You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-01 09:18:27

admiralspark

[Project] Kernel26-ideapad

Hey everyone,
Just announcing the release of the first package in the -ideapad series on the AUR. This kernel is optimized for the Lenovo Ideapad Y-series laptops (specifically Y560 at the moment, but works with all Y), which had no special builds before now. This package is currently based almost entirely off of graysky's kernel26-ck package, using his PKGBUILD with custom entries and a custom x86_64 .config file. It uses the full ck* patchset along with optionally using BFQ as well. I will be working on tweaking it down in the following weeks so that it only includes the needed drivers (mainly pulling out intel/nvidia/apple-specific drivers at the moment). If you have an Ideapad Y series, or like model, that you would like support for, please let me know here or in the comments on the package's AUR page.

AUR page is located here
Wiki entry to consult is the kernel26-ck wiki article, since this package is based off of that one (though I do not maintain a repository of precompiled kernels like graysky)

Okay, three more things:
1) This package will only provide an improved experience for x86_64 users--I do not optimize for i686 since the Y5xx laptops have no reason to be operating in that environment. Please use graysky's kernel26-ck* packages for your architecture if you'd like i686.

2) The package is designed to be built on a system using the AMD Catalyst drivers, and so I kept the initcpio for this. If you use the open-source radeon driver, I'd be more than happy to make a separate package with all the drivers built into the kernel itself, which will speed up the boot process even more. Please PM, email, or notify me on the package page in the AUR.

3) Do NOT enable the localmodconfig option in the packagebuild! The drivers you need are already included, and localmodconfig will omit a few drivers that aren't loaded at boot time. I use modprobe_db scripts (also by graysky) to build for this laptop, and it includes only drivers that are used on these systems (with a few extras in case the functionality is needed, like peripherals).

If you'd like another driver compiled in, let me know, I only include the needed drivers (for example, if you want full disk encryption I will need to enable it).

This package includes the latest BFS and ck patches as the kernel26-ck package, and uses a few other options: core2 instead of generic cpu, 1000mhz timer, zero-latency desktop, and several peripheral drivers.

-Admiralspark

Last edited by admiralspark (2011-06-23 02:34:24)

Team Ignition Kernel Developer
linux-ideapad developer/maintainer
Flame Kernel developer for Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3
Want a cheap, reliable VPS with AWESOME customer service?

#2 2011-07-24 11:11:01

tribhuvanesh
Website

Re: [Project] Kernel26-ideapad

Hey! I own a y560, i5, 4GB RAM, and ATI mobility Radeon HD 5730. Since morning I've been trying to get X up and running, but to no avail. Anyway, here's what I did:
1. Followed the beginner's guide and successfully managed to progress till setting up sound drivers.
2. Went ahead and installed xf86-video-ati, but the startx command resulted in a blank screen and froze the system. I wasnt even able to use <ctrl>+<alt>+<func_key>
3. Removed ati drivers and installed xf86-video-intel, which threw up another error.
4. So, removed that and installed- your kernel, catalyst-utils and catalyst, in that order.
Now, when i try aticonfig --initial or aticonfig --initial=dual-head, it throws up an error:

PowerXpress error: Cannot stat 'usr/lib64/fglrx' : No such file or directory
Failed to initialize libglx for discrete GPU
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-2

I'm just moving over to the world of Arch. Could you please help me out with this?

“I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.” -- Vincent Van Gogh

#3 2011-07-24 12:28:19

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

The Community Contributions forum is more focused on applications and software, moving this thread to the AUR subforum.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2011-07-24 14:36:06

admiralspark

Mod-- thank you

Tribhuvanesh, I have to work today, but I'll be on to lead you through it around 9pm east coast time.

#5 2011-07-25 20:28:08

tribhuvanesh
Website

@Admiralspark, I apologize for not being able to come online at 9. The time zone difference put me at an inconvenience. Anyway, I spent my time canvassing on this particular problem. I did try catalyst-generator to compile the modules for the linux26-ideapad kernel. But, having faced the same problem, made me shudder. Here's the output I got from by running startx and aticonfig --initial, respectively:
startx

aticonfig --initial
MOD EDIT -- Follow image posting rules. Do not post full size images. --Inxsible

Last edited by tribhuvanesh (2011-07-25 20:30:10)

“I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.” -- Vincent Van Gogh

#6 2011-07-25 21:05:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

tribhuvanesh, make use of an image hosting website and only post thumbnails.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-07-25 22:16:02

admiralspark

Photobucket is what I use. :-P
So, I tried to get on and I couldn't access the site right through midnight, when I gave up. I will try to get on when i get home and send you my working xorg.conf

Which desktop environment are you using? Can you paste your rc.conf in pastebin and drop the link here? Also, what version is the catalyst package at?

#8 2011-07-26 05:23:10

admiralspark

tribhuvanesh:
First, I'll need the information in the above post: 32 or 64 bit, what version of catalyst and xorg (pacman -Qi xorg-server etc.). Note that fglrx and Gnome3 are still not working if that's what you're using.
First, you must boot with the 'nomodeset' option. The drivers will not work without that.
Second, are you sure catalyst compiled correctly? Do you have the autofglrx daemon first in your daemons array in rc.conf? (This is provided by the catalyst-daemon package, which you will find useful to have). It will compile the fgrlx module every time you reboot into a new kernel, which is nice to have and may help as well.
Third, are you running aticonfig --initial as the root user, not with sudo? And try running startx as root user as well, you should get twm or something to show up (a few terminals).
Fourth, here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf which should technically work for you. No need to use aticonfig --initial with this.

This is a start. I don't want to get into the harder stuff without more input on what you have first, otherwise I may get sidetracked.

EDIT: if you need clearer, cleaner instructions I can rewrite, but it's 1:30AM here so I'm off to bed for now.

Last edited by admiralspark (2011-07-26 05:23:58)

#9 2011-07-26 05:38:48

tribhuvanesh
Website

@Admin, sorry. I've familiarized myself with the rules now.

@Admiralspark,
startx:
th_startx.jpg

aticonfig:
th_aticonfig.jpg

rc.conf
http://pastebin.com/2BPw2Vcm

I haven't tried setting up any desktop enviroment so far since "startx" by itself kept giving me errors. sad
My catalyst package is at 11.6.

Thanks. Appreciate your help. smile

EDIT: Just read your following post. I'm at work right now. I'll get back with you on this as soon as I reach home.

Last edited by tribhuvanesh (2011-07-26 05:45:59)

#10 2011-07-26 17:56:20

tribhuvanesh
Website

admiralspark wrote:

tribhuvanesh:
First, I'll need the information in the above post: 32 or 64 bit, what version of catalyst and xorg (pacman -Qi xorg-server etc.). Note that fglrx and Gnome3 are still not working if that's what you're using.

I'm using a 64-bit install.
catalyst-generator - 11.6-1 (I tried the alternatives, but ended up with the same problem)
xorg-server - 1.10.3-1
I haven't yet bothered trying to install gnome or any other desktop environment for that matter.

First, you must boot with the 'nomodeset' option. The drivers will not work without that.

Yes, I did specify that in the kernel line of my /boot/grub/menu.lst

Second, are you sure catalyst compiled correctly? Do you have the autofglrx daemon first in your daemons array in rc.conf? (This is provided by the catalyst-daemon package, which you will find useful to have). It will compile the fgrlx module every time you reboot into a new kernel, which is nice to have and may help as well.

I've already tried compiling the catalyst twice. Eventually, I resorted to adding the main catalyst repositories in /etc/pacman.conf. Just tried the catalyst-daemon right now, but, over and over again, I've faced the same problem. sad

Third, are you running aticonfig --initial as the root user, not with sudo? And try running startx as root user as well, you should get twm or something to show up (a few terminals).
Fourth, here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf which should technically work for you. No need to use aticonfig --initial with this.

My /etc/X11/xorg.conf was exactly the same, except for the  - Option      "UseInternalAGPGart" "no", which was missing. I replaced your file with mine, and again, the same error.

This is a start. I don't want to get into the harder stuff without more input on what you have first, otherwise I may get sidetracked.

EDIT: if you need clearer, cleaner instructions I can rewrite, but it's 1:30AM here so I'm off to bed for now.

Here's my /var/log/Xorg.0.log which for some reason seems to throw the same error each and every time.
For some reason, its always the Failed to load module "intel" (module does not exist, 0). But then, the intel module cant work as stand-alone. To add to the hysteria, it conflicts with catalyst and throws an error when it doesn't exist.
Oh no, I must say, I've been able to clearly follow your instructions. smile

#11 2011-07-27 02:44:06

admiralspark

Well, something's obviously screwy here smile
First, a small tidbit that will probably have no effect: dbus should be second in your daemons array, because some daemons will fail if the dbus system isn't started before them (after syslog-ng and autofgrlx but no other daemons, so that it's at most 3rd in the array). Dbus is NEEDED for X to run properly.

Do you have the following packages installed?

xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils mesa

and

xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm

Note: you have to have some x environment installed to test with, so use the second code box and install those. Otherwise startx will start....nothing, and it will dump you to the command line.

Looking at your xorg.log, fglrx (the catalyst module) is loading and working fine. It may be as simple as the fact that you don't have an X environment installed.

As for the intel bit, do you have switchable graphics? I ask because I do not, and I'm not sure how the bios initializes that system (whether it would default to the integrated intel chip or the dedicated ATi chip first) but I assume the ATi is working regardless considering your xorg.log.

I'm going to go test my system and see if I can reproduce these errors.

EDIT1: Two more things. One, make sure to remove the xf86-video-intel driver and remove .xinitrc in your /home/username folder. Then, when you 'startx' it will load into twm by default (with xorg-twm installed).
After all this is done, run as root user

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

or

aticonfig --initial -f --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

if the first doesnt work.

EDIT2: I wouldnt use the catalyst repo's, just use the catalyst-utils and catalyst-daemon packages from the AUR. Otherwise you risk redundancy and then pacman will get confused smile

EDIT3: I just checked in my test system, followed the instructions I had above and as long as xorg-twm was installed, and aticonfig --initial --force --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf was used after the install, a reboot and startx worked great. Let me know how this works for you.

Last edited by admiralspark (2011-07-27 04:13:25)

#12 2011-07-27 16:37:04

tribhuvanesh
Website

admiralspark wrote:

As for the intel bit, do you have switchable graphics? I ask because I do not, and I'm not sure how the bios initializes that system (whether it would default to the integrated intel chip or the dedicated ATi chip first) but I assume the ATi is working regardless considering your xorg.log.

smile That was the darned culprit. Immediately after reading this bit, I went over to the bios and switched over from Switchable -> Discrete, and it worked! I shall go ahead and savour this moment.
Currently installing KDE, and by the looks of it, its going to take a while...

Thanks a ton! I appreciate your help! smile

#13 2011-07-28 02:31:51

admiralspark

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out for you!
Welcome to Arch, and glad you picked KDE, it's the best use of the full system resources wink

One other thing, there's coding being done to allow you to switch graphics cards on the fly (and some workarounds to do it at boottime) on these laptops, you may want to search for it. These things are power hogs on the 5730 only :-D

Board footer