You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-22 22:20:47

rural

Proper bonding configuration

I'm new to Arch (first experience was yesterday) but have managed to get a server up and running with a SSD, RAID5 and RAID1 md arrays, as well as, just now, with 2xGigE bonded network interfaces. Hope my pride isn't showing.

The bonding configuration came directly from the Configuring Network page of the wiki. With the exception of setting the default gateway properly at boot, it works. However, my understanding is that the networking configuration has changed (with each interface configured in a separate file). I've taken a stab at using the netcfg-bonding package but failed.

Is there any up-to-date documentation on the new network configuration scheme? Has anyone got bonding working using the netcfg-bonding package and care to share some pointers?

#2 2011-07-26 15:38:44

rural

Re: Proper bonding configuration

I got in touch with the maintainer of the netcfg-bonding package and he walked me through setting netcfg up with bonding support. It was fairly easy, but some documentation on the wiki would go a long way to quelling the nerves of a new Arch user.

Here are Shaun's instructions:

---
I'll give you the steps I did when configuring netcfg on my tablet (sans the wireless part) as they may indicate any "mis-steps" you have made:

Install 'netcfg' and 'netcfg-bonding'
        sudo pacman -S netcfg
        sudo packer -S netcfg-bonding
    Create bonding profile
        sudo nano /etc/network.d/bonded
        CONNECTION="bonding"
        INTERFACE="bond0"
        SLAVES="eth0 eth1"
        IP="dhcp"
        DHCP_TIMEOUT=10
    Edit rc.conf
        Added 'bonded' to NETWORKS and uncommented line
        Replaced 'network' with 'net-profiles' in DAEMONS
        Added 'bonding' to MODULES
        Comment out 'interface', 'address', 'netmask', 'gateway'
    sudo modprobe bonding
    sudo rc.d stop network
    sudo rc.d start net-profiles

This should bring eth0 and eth1 to "UP", slave them to bond0 and then dhcp. In your case, the profile should look more like:

CONNECTION="bonding"
INTERFACE="bond0"
SLAVES="eth0 eth1"
IP="static"
ADDR='192.168.1.23'
GATEWAY='192.168.1.1'
DNS=('192.168.1.1')

These other variables (ADDR, GATEWAY and DNS) are from /etc/network.d/examples/ethernet-static, which is how bond0 is treated (i.e. as an ethernet device).
---

The only thing I did differently was adding a DOMAIN line. Other than that, it just worked.

Mark

Board footer