You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-28 20:10:43

Euphoric Nightmare

MBR Problems (maybe?) [Resolved]

So I just installed arch on a machine I acquired from a friend.  When I first got it (a few weeks ago), I booted into Windows 98 (was already on it) just to make sure that it would start up and everything.

I installed Arch earlier today.  When I rebooted I received this:

Searching for boot record on CD-ROM:  Failed
Searching for boot record on Floppy Disk:  Failed
Searching for boot record on IDE-0:  OK

and then it just hangs.

I thought I had installed grub from the arch cd.  Quick question:  on down the list on the installer, it says install bootloader.  So when I went to that, I chose grub, okay (or done whatever it says), but it didn't seem like it did anything.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  Do I need to install grub in a different fashion?

EDIT:  Does it sound like I have to revive the MBR?

#2 2005-06-28 21:28:18

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: MBR Problems (maybe?) [Resolved]

if you didn't "touch" the grub config file, grub doenst install sometimes. What i do is when in the config phase of the install, I open every one of the config files, and do a write-quit in vi, so as to save the file. I have never had a problem once I have done that.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2005-06-28 22:05:44

Euphoric Nightmare

cactus wrote:

if you didn't "touch" the grub config file, grub doenst install sometimes. What i do is when in the config phase of the install, I open every one of the config files, and do a write-quit in vi, so as to save the file. I have never had a problem once I have done that.

I'm pretty sure I saved the menu.lst a few times in the arch setup before I installed grub with vi ('ZZ').  Does it matter if I do this before/after installing grub?

#4 2005-06-28 23:24:14

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

has to be before. if that is the case, then I don't know what the issue is. Another question...

Is your /boot directory set as..bootable?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-06-28 23:32:39

iphitus
Forum Fellow

cactus wrote:

has to be before. if that is the case, then I don't know what the issue is. Another question...

Doesnt need to be, only windows needs the bootable flag.

#6 2005-06-29 01:13:53

Euphoric Nightmare

cactus wrote:

Yes, I have.

EDIT:  I will try again tomorrow, and post some more information if I can get any.

#7 2005-06-29 03:47:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Just boot archie, mount your arch install, mount --bind /sys, /proc, and /dev into your arch install's mount, then chroot in, then grub-install /dev/hda, assuming you have your bootloader on HDA.

iphitus

#8 2005-06-29 20:28:02

Euphoric Nightmare

I sort of solved it, I ended up installing a base ubuntu system (to make sure i didn't kill the mbr), and now grub starts.  When i get home tonight, i will kill ubuntu and do arch.  For some reason the arch installation always gives me problems with grub.

#9 2005-06-29 20:31:16

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Every grub-based distro I ever used gave me grief.

Why do you use LiLo, they ask? ;-)

Dusty

#10 2005-06-29 21:31:09

Euphoric Nightmare

I can't do lilo, its too complex for my little mind.

#11 2005-06-30 17:02:23

yak8998

cactus wrote:

I'm pretty sure it forces you to edit menu.lst before you can 'install bootloader'

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

Board footer