You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 18:46:33

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Funny thread: Ubuntu guys talking about Arch (with admiration, mainly)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1815121

It's interesting to see how Arch and its users are viewed by others.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2011-08-01 18:52:41

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Funny thread: Ubuntu guys talking about Arch (with admiration, mainly)

Otaku! Eh, Archtaku.... hmm...taco...

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-08-01 18:54:55

Barrucadu
Website

I like how Arch is apparently difficult to install - I'm sure even a monkey could follow the beginner's guide.

#4 2011-08-01 18:56:17

karol
Archivist

Barrucadu wrote:

I like how Arch is apparently difficult to install - I'm sure even a monkey could follow the beginner's guide.

I liked how you pointed that out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=17 ;P

#5 2011-08-01 18:56:46

Awebb

It's also interesting how many Archers and Gentoo users are found in non-Arch/Gentoo bbqs, while users of other distros tend to hang around in their own places.

#6 2011-08-01 18:59:33

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:

It's also interesting how many Archers and Gentoo users are found in non-Arch/Gentoo bbqs

That's probably because they used those distros before Arch..

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2011-08-01 19:08:02

Barrucadu
Website

karol wrote:

I liked how you pointed that out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=17 ;P

I like how you liked my pointing out of that likeable fact.

[ad nauseum]

#8 2011-08-01 19:48:42

Awebb

Since I have no confidence in the viral capabilities of this joke, I will linkback myself. Google my esel.gif.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/135047/#p135047

Could somebody link this back to the Ubuntu board? I want to see a crawler crawl.

Last edited by Awebb (2011-08-01 19:50:04)

#9 2011-08-01 20:28:39

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

In defense of Ubuntu, its designers and devs have done a pretty good job of accommodating users who want an easy experience with Linux. For a long time U. has been the distro I've recommended to Windows or Mac users who either have an idle interest in Linux or who otherwise wouldn't want to mount the learning curve of a hands-on distro like Arch.

For my part, I've taken the opposite course, moving recently from Slack-Gentoo-Arch to Ubuntu as my primary Linux installation. Since Ubuntu is the only distro most people are going to experience, I thought I might as well see how it works.

I'm planning to move back over to Arch after a spell, though I want to wait until the kinks are out of doing an installation on a gpt-partitioned SSD, booting via efi and using grub2.

Edit: And the best thing about the Linux tent, as everybody here knows, is that it's big enough to have Arch and Ubuntu both, along with everything in between. This kind of choice just isn't there in Windowsworld or Macland.

Last edited by dhave (2011-08-01 20:35:46)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#10 2011-08-01 21:37:02

omns
Website

Awebb wrote:

Could somebody link this back to the Ubuntu board? I want to see a crawler crawl.

wink

#11 2011-08-01 22:10:57

ANOKNUSA

#! Forums wrote:

Q: How do you know someone is running Arch?
A: They will tell you.

Ah yes, this delightful little non-joke.  Seems the "Archers are arrogant bastards" attitude is something of a meme within Ubuntu-related forums and comment boards.  'Cuz, ya know, every other geek on the damn internet has such tight lips when it comes to their opinions... tongue

#12 2011-08-01 22:30:13

SS4

ANOKNUSA wrote:
#! Forums wrote:

Ah yes, this delightful little non-joke.  Seems the "Archers are arrogant bastards" attitude is something of a meme within Ubuntu-related forums and comment boards.  'Cuz, ya know, every other geek on the damn internet has such tight lips when it comes to their opinions... tongue

My expounding the benefits of arch got me banned on UF as well as saying that the staff were more interested in suppressing negative feedback

Rauchen verboten

#13 2011-08-01 22:59:51

lucke

That's it, I'm moving to Arch!

Because Arch is the best.

Last edited by lucke (2011-08-01 23:03:53)

#14 2011-08-02 00:26:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

SS4 wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:
#! Forums wrote:

My expounding the benefits of arch got me banned on UF as well as saying that the staff were more interested in suppressing negative feedback

Well, if you expound the benefits of arch on these forums inappropriately you can try for a double strike smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2011-08-02 00:26:36

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

SS4 wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:
#! Forums wrote:

Sadly, I found a bit of hostility toward our distribution-of-choice on that other forum when I was active there.

It makes me appreciate this forum and its strict policy against distro-bashing and trolling.

#16 2011-08-02 00:43:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:
SS4 wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:

Sadly, I found a bit of hostility toward our distribution-of-choice on that other forum when I was active there.

It makes me appreciate this forum and its strict policy against distro-bashing and trolling.

I wouldn't want to moderate that forum, its huge. Hostility towards the 'other' is common on all forums, and not all forums have rules like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems

Or, perhaps, sometimes that's not enforced. In all the time I was an Ubuntu user and forum poster, I don't remember ever being pointed to a list of rules for the forum...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#17 2011-08-02 00:45:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

#18 2011-08-02 01:40:09

sisco311

ngoonee wrote:

In all the time I was an Ubuntu user and forum poster, I don't remember ever being pointed to a list of rules for the forum...

When you subscribe to the ubuntu forums you have to agree with they CoC. If you aren't a  HumancentiPad and can follow they rules, then you should be fine smile

The rules are very similar on both forums; In one phrase: `be respectful'.

don't drink unwashed fruit juice.
i never make predictions, especially about the future.

#19 2011-08-02 06:24:46

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Well... It's something... Not sure if great is the word I'm looking for :-/

#20 2011-08-02 09:45:14

Awebb

omns wrote:
Awebb wrote:

wink

Finally :-D

#21 2011-08-02 09:45:51

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

fukawi2 wrote:

Well... It's something... Not sure if great is the word I'm looking for :-/

For some people, including myself, installing Arch for the first time feels like a leap of faith, installing it on your only computer with just a lot of text on a paper/screen to guide you. Trusting a feeling of profoundness when you embark on this journey and seeing it fulfilled can then really feel as an accomplishment, a rewarding and even cleansing experience. For these people, the silly dreamers of this world, Arch is more than just a tool.

For others more rational, well they just installed some software on a random piece of hardware, nothing romantic about that.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#22 2011-08-02 11:41:28

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

At least that guy is honest... tongue

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#23 2011-08-02 11:57:50

estevao
Website

Yeah, Arch is like the red pill for those guys smile

#24 2011-08-02 12:20:29

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

.:B:. wrote:

At least that guy is honest... tongue

True tongue

#25 2011-08-02 14:13:08

Cyrusm

ha, just found a new Arch slogan in this thread:

"Arch, a little effort followed by profound laziness"

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer